A Study in Pink Part 3

After eating and paying, I decided to walk back home to my new flat and unpack some boxes. Once I got there I noticed my door was open slightly, but I clearly remember locking it. I walk in slowly, all my senses on high alert. I walk into the living room slowly as two large men jump me from behind. I screamed and tried to fight them off, but they were too strong and I had no weapons. They tied my arms and legs tightly to a chair. I tried to wiggle out of them, but they were too tight. I would feel your wrists burning the more I moved.

Another man walked out from the shadows. He was tall, arrogant, and wearing a nice suit. Very expensive, probably a job in the government, high up too.

"Don't bother screaming," he spoke as if he was better than me, "I would make some sort of threat, but I'm sure your situation is quite clear to you."

"Obviously." I said.

"Ah, American, now I see my..." he stopped himself, "his interest in you."

I understood the moment you saw him. The height, cheek bones, arrogance, suits. He was a Holmes. Obviously the older brother.

"I have a phone you know. You could have just called me, not gone through all this trouble." I said referring to your... situation.

"When one is avoiding the attention of Sherlock Holmes one learns to be discreet, hence this."

I laughed. "Yes, very... discreet." I tried to free my hands again, but still no luck.

"You don't seem very afraid." He observed.

"You don't see, very frightening." I retorted.

He laughed, "Yes, the bravery of a detective. Bravery is by far the kindest word for stupidity, don't you think?" I didn't say anything.

"What is your connection to Sherlock Holmes?" He asked me.

"I don't have one. I barely know him. I met him..." I began. All I really wanted to say was- What's yours? "Today." I continued.

"Hmm, and in one day he asks you to move in with him. And tomorrow you'll be solving crimes with him. Might we expect a happy announcement by the end of the week?" He was an arrogant dick, but he was smart. Just like Sherlock.

"Who are you?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"An interested party." He said discreetly.

"Interested in Sherlock? Why?" I said, analyzing him. "I'm guessing you're not friends." Then again, what siblings are? I almost let slip.

"You've met him, how many friends do you imagine he has?" He said.

"None, just family." I said, looking up to him.

"I'm the closest thing to a friend Sherlock Holmes is capable of having." He said, neither proving nor disproving his identity.

"And what's that?" I asked curiously.

"An enemy." He said calmly.

"An enemy?" I asked.

"In his mind, certainly. If you were to ask him, he'd probably say his arch enemy. He does love to be dramatic." He explained.

"Well thank God you're above all that." I said sarcastically, still tied up. I heard your phone chime in your pocket. I sighed, knowing I couldn't reach it. The man sighed and retrieved it for me, placing it onto my lap so I could read it.

Baker Street. Come at once if convenient.

-SH

"I hope I'm not distracting you." The man said. I was deep in thought of how Sherlock got my number and why he wanted me to come to his flat.

"Not distracting me at all." I said, looking back up to the man.

"Do you plan to continue your association with Sherlock Holmes?" He asked, seriously.

"Well, I could be wrong, but... I think that's none of your business." I retorted.

"It could be." He said. I was curious now.

"If you do continue your association I'd be happy to pay you a meaningful sum of money on a regular basis to ease your way." He said.

"I'm listening." I said with a small smile. This man is Sherlock's brother, he's just trying to get inside his head. If I took the money I could split it with Sherlock. But his brother might not be too happy when he finds out.

"Information. Nothing discreet. Nothing you feel... uncomfortable with. Just tell me what he's up to." He explained.

"Why?" I asked.

"I worry about him," he said. Aww, brotherly love. Who knew the Holmes boys were capable of it, "Constantly."

"That's nice of you." I said.

"But I would prefer for various reasons that my concern go unmentioned. We have what you might call a difficult relationship." He explained.

"Naturally." I said. My phone chimed again, I looked down to read it.

If inconvenient, come anyway.

-SH

"Deal." I said with a smile.

"I imagine people are going to tell you to stay away from him. But for our sake I hope you don't listen. I'm prepared to offer you £500 a week for information on Mr. Holmes." He said.

"Double it and you've got yourself a deal. I'll get close to Sherlock, feed you information via text as the info comes." I explained, knowing the information was pointless anyway because he could just ask his brother and get it for free. This way Sherlock and I both make a profit.

"Deal." He said, nodding to the two other men to leave. He left an envelope of money on my coffee table. "I trust you can get yourself out of this one, Adelaide." He said leaving me tied up as he exited my flat.

I knocked my phone to the floor and slipped off my heel. I hit Sherlock's number with my toe, putting him on speaker phone.

"I was expecting you to come." Sherlock said, disappointed.

"I'm a bit tied up at the moment." I grunted, trying to break free.

"Are you alright?" He asked, genuinely concerned.

"I will be, can you just get over here please?" I asked, assuming he knew exactly where you lived. I mean, even his brother did, he better know too.

"I'll be right there." He said, hanging up.

Within a few minutes Sherlock walked through my door. His eyes opened wide as he saw me all tied up and ran to free me.

"Are you alright?" He asked again, helping me to my feet.

"Yeah, I am now. Thanks." I said, rubbing my sore wrists.

"Oh, your half." I said pointing to the envelope on the table. Sherlock raised his eyebrow at me.

"Your brother, well I assume your brother, offered me 1000£ a week to keep him updated on you. I figured I'd take it so we could split the money." I explained.

"Brilliant," He said, taking his half, "If only John had been as smart as you."

"John?" I asked, confused.

"My new flatmate. Mycroft offered him money too but he didn't take it." Sherlock explained.

"Mycroft and Sherlock. Two Holmes in one day. Your parents were very... uh... imaginative with the names." I said with a smile. Sherlock laughed a little and nodded.

After tea at Sherlock's and meeting his new flatmate I decided to head back home. I needed to get some sleep before my first day of work.

As I laid in bed, falling asleep, I smiled slightly. Lestrade was right- Never a dull moment.