The Reichenbach Fall Part 5

Once in the lab Sherlock pulled out the plastic container he used at the crime scene. I sat across from him and pulled out the original case file and evidence photographs.

"Oil, Adelaide." He said, and I looked up to him. "The oil in the kidnapper's footprint. It'll lead us to Moriarty. All the chemical traces on his shoe have been preserved. The sole of the shoe is like a passport. If we're lucky, we can see everything that he's been up to."

I was now reading through the file and lists of possible enemies for the ambassador and seeing if I could make any connections. If there was anything I had missed the first time in my rushed reading in the car.

I had felt like I was going to be sick. A little late for morning sickness, maybe the baby was on American time and it was morning there. I slipped out of the room unnoticed and into the bathroom, then I noticed I had left my phone in the lab.

While I was out, John was looking at the crime scene photos when my phone rang and he answered it, noticing I had left the room.

"Hi, this is Mary Morstan from Dr. Shepherd's office calling to let you know the results from your blood test were in." The nurse on the phone spoke.

"Actually Adelaide's not here right now, can I take a message?" John asked, beginning to leave the room to find me.

"Tell her congratulations, and if she wants to know the sex she can call us back. Thanks." The nurse said, ending the call. John was shocked, and trying to find me when I walked out of the bathroom.

"Oh, John, you scared me." I laughed when I nearly ran into him. He held up my phone and my smile faded.

"Your doctor called, they said congratulations." He said, still in shock.

"John please, keep your voice down–" I said but he cut me off.

"You're seriously pregnant? And Sherlock is the father?" He grilled me like a disappointed parent.

"Well he has to be, there's been no one else John. But you have to promise me you won't tell him. I'll tell him in my own time, when I'm ready. Right now all I care about is finding those kids." I said, beginning to walk away from him.

"Adelaide," he called and I turned around to face him, "If it's any consolation, you'll make a great mother."

I got teary for a moment before walking back towards him and hugging him. I thanked him and began to return to the lab. Once inside, John and I were looking at the photos again. He stopped on the one with the seal from the envelope.

"Sherlock?" He said.

"Hmm?" Sherlock looked up from his work.

"This envelope, it was in her trunk. There's another one." John said, walking to get it out of his coat.

"I remember, you were opening it when I came back from Mycroft's." I said, looking at John.

"You really go see him a lot don't you." John said.

"That's beside the point, are they the same?" I asked, referring to the envelopes.

"Yes, look at that. Exactly the same seal." John said, handing it to me. I examined it before passing it to Sherlock..

"Breadcrumbs." Sherlock said. "A little trace of bread crumbs, hardback copy of fairy tales."

"Hansel and Gretel." I said.

"What sort of kidnapper leaves clues." John asked.

"The sort that likes to boast. The sort that thinks it's all a game. He sat in our flat and he said these exact words to me. 'All fairy tales need a good old-fashioned villain'." Sherlock said.