37: The Paper Test

For an outfit reference to Team 13, you can check my other book "This is a Book About [My] Sketches".

...

I gasped softly and it made my surprise evident. Even though Zuko never met Toph in person we have told him about her and what she was like. We did tell her about the attack she tried to pose on Lucia too.

Neji's eyes narrowed at Toph. Her eyes...their so...familiar.

Yuna Hyuuga? I never heard of her. Hinata thought suspiciously.

Lucia glares the moment he saw her then clenched my shoulders protectively. I held his tense hands which were over my shoulders, trying to calm him. Yuna sends me a mischievous grin then reverts back to a serious manner.

Why is she here?!

Zuko shakily stuffed his hand down his pouch.

"Everyone! Take a stick and read the end! It will say which number you'll be sitting at!" Toph yells holding a beige hexagon-shaped box with a circular hole in the middle.

Team 13 gave wary glances at each other before nodding and taking out a thin stick.

Mine read 37. Lucia's read 76. Zuko's was 88. We all knew this was a paper test and I was lucky to study just a little bit before entering here. Zuko on the other hand...hopefully he remembered things that are needed.

While Lucia and Zuko were close to each other I was sent to the front rows. Next to my left was another Konoha ninja who looked anxious and shook which I was able to feel. To my right was a male sand Shinobi.

I looked back to the test in front of me and waited for instructions. Toph was right next to Ibiki making me tense. Her eyes flickered to me then to Lucia and Zuko. I could sense that ghost smile over her lips.

Ibiki explained the test and its rules with Toph butting in to yell the rules a bit louder now and then. But the main rule they exclaimed was no cheating. It was the oldest trick in the book and I don't think it was the biggest deal. But the fact that they have guards to watch us cheat and try to get the answers right was too far.

Why is cheating such a big deal? There are plenty of other rules which can be more valid. I pondered with my hand wrapped under my chin.

"Begin!" Ibiki yells as most of us hurry to finish the test.

Already hearing the sound of pencils clattering on paper I grew frustrated with myself and sighed.

Calm down Ro. Its just anxiety... brush that anxiety away and continue to think. I told myself while crossing my arms then closing my eyes.

First I needed to somehow speaking with Lucia and Zuko. I reached into my pouch slowly pulling out the small rocks and pebbles I got. Then I crushed two rocks into powder. Tapping my foot on the ground I felt vibrations all around this room.

Toph softly gasps. How is she using the same technique I used?! Toph thought. Suddenly a blurry memory hit her mind as Toph grunts and stood frozen like a statue. What...what was her name? Toph thought as the memory instantly disappeared like flames. Never mind, I'm on a recon mission, can't mess up again.