Chapter Twenty-Three

"What's gonna happen to him?"

"To be honest, Miyeon....we're not sure yet." Hoseok ran a sleeve across his mouth. His bottom lip had a long scar along it, and his left eye was bruised deep purple. "Jin has been doing surgery on him since we came home yesterday. I have no idea how it's going."

Miyeon watched him in remorse. He had come into Jungkook's room the next morning to administer her pain medications, but she turned them down, feeling guilty for using up medicines and resources that could be going to Jimin. Jungkook had been gone since she woke up.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "Did he do anything to you?"

"You're looking at it," Hoseok scoffed. Miyeon's gaze fell onto his blackened eye.

"This sounds stupid," she started, "because I'm sure there's nothing I can do, but if there is, just tell me."

Hoseok smiled warmly. "Thanks, Miyeon." He stood up from his seat on the edge of Jungkook's bed. "Are you okay staying in here? At least for a little bit?"

"Yeah, it's good."

"Awesome." Hoseok turned and left, still holding a weak smile. For the second time, Miyeon silently acknowledged and applauded how strong of a person he was.

It didn't take long before Jungkook came back in. 

"How is everything?" Miyeon asked.

He sighed. "Fuck, I don't even know.....I want to think of something else, like how we're going to take down Letchner and Marcono and the rest of those fucks, but I can't stop thinking about Jimin...."

Miyeon nodded. She felt the same way, although she knew her stress couldn't compare to Jungkook's. She needed something to take her mind off of it.

"Um, cards?" 

He looked at her quizically. "What?"

"Do you want to play cards?"

Jungkook bit his lip in thought. He shook his head. "Fuck it. Why not. I'm sure there's another deck somewhere besides in Jin's nurse room."

He began to leave. "Invite whoever else you want, too," Miyeon called out. She felt bad that Jungkook kept getting into conflicts with the others, especially now after their fight over his anger, and now he had to share his room and spend time with her.

Since when did she pity Jungkook so much? He was in a superior family, she knew he was one of the most skilled fighters in the city, and when she put his stubborn, bratty outbursts aside, he could be terrifying. Was she so sympathetic now because of Jimin? Or was it because she had found a part of him that the gangs in Seoul didn't know existed?

Jungkook came back in the room a few moments later with Taehyung. 

"Hey Miyeon," Taehyung said. His tone was so sad Miyeon felt her whole mood falter slightly. When she had first met him, he was giggly and smiley. This wasn't right.

"What are we playing today?" Jungkook asked the two of them, shuffling the cards as he sat criss-cross in front of Miyeon. 

"Something simple. My brain isn't working." Taehyung ran his fingers through his hair. 

"How about....." Miyeon started, glancing at Jungkook, "go fish?"

She expected him to aggressively reject it, but instead, he smirked a little. "Fine. Why not, prick."

Jungkook began making the pond. Miyeon and Taehyung both sat in silence. Miyeon took stolen glances at Taehyung's broken expression. It made her feel guilty, even if Jungkook told her not to worry about it. 

When everything was dealt, it was quiet. It was like nobody knew how to play.

"Tae, why don't you--" 

Before Jungkook could get the words out, Taehyung covered his face and ran out of the room. Miyeon hadn't seen him shed any tears. She hadn't even heard a word.

Jungkook threw his cards on the bed and covered his face, too. Miyeon bit her lip. 

All of this led back to her.

"Don't worry, Miyeon, he deals with things differently." Jungkook's voice was coming out in strained sentences. "He isolates himself, almost blocks out his personality. It's happened only once before when his brother died in another gang."

Miyeon listened intently.

"He won't talk for a while. And it's gonna be fucking brutal, cause this entire thing is fucking brutal, why did this happen to us...." Jungkook's jaw tightened. He hid is expression. Miyeon knew he was a breaking down again. "Thanks for....."

For what? Ruining everything? Was he finally mad?

Miyeon braced for the worst.

"Thanks for trying, Miyeon."

She froze. It wasn't what she expected at all. Jungkook looked angrier and sharper, but everything he was doing was more mild. Marcono's attack had turned everything upside down.

Suddenly the bedroom door flew open. Monster was panting in the doorway, eyes bulging out.

"Jimin's awake."

Guys.

GUYS HSGSGBDBDB

LY : Answer just came out at freaking 5 AM and I'm absolutely in love with it omg

FAVORITE TRACKS are I'm Fine and Seesaw and I would keep going but I'd end up naming all of them

PLEASE COMMENT YOUR FAVORITE TRACKS SO I CAN SEE BC ILY GUYS