Chapter Twelve

Miyeon's heart stopped when the door flew open. 

"What the--"

"You!" Jungkook slammed the door behind him and stomped up to her bed. He threw a tray down on the bed, the plate of food spilling over onto the blankets. "You have no fucking clue what you've done!"

Miyeon stared at him in confusion. "Jungkook, what are you even talking about?"

She watched him clench his fists up, seemingly not being able to find the right words, just writhing in his own anger.

"Jungkook," she said darkly. "What could I have done with a stab wound in bed?"

He released an angry exhale. His eyes made her blood turn cold. "I fucked up bad when I decided to save you."

Miyeon felt a jolt of pain, but it wasn't from her wound. It was in her chest. 

Wow. He really wished she had gotten taken by that Bearclove member. How did he get so angry? 

Her mind started racing. Maybe something had happened the night before. Maybe all of Bangtan was downstairs, talking about how badly they wanted her out. How they shouldn't have tried helping her in the first place. How she was a nuisance, or a burden, or just another useless street rat. But now they were stuck with her.

She felt her eyes water up, but she quickly held them back. She did what she was best at; hiding sadness with pure rage. "If you don't want me here, then kick me out! Don't forget I tried to tell you that, asshole!"

"It's not--agh!" Jungkook turned and paced around, his hand pulling on his hair. He looked more stressed than ever, like he didn't know how to put his anger or anxiety or whatever it was into words. What the hell was wrong with him?

"Listen!" He suddenly said, whipping back around. "You better have some damn good information because now you're taking off from my missions!" He paced another few steps, and Miyeon waited for him to continue, hoping he would explain more. "Because I saved you from the stupid Bearclove guy, I missed our payment delivery, we lost a dealer commitment, and I'm on probation!"

Miyeon kept her expression stony. "I'm--"

"Don't be fucking sorry!" He outburst again. Once again however, he groaned and grabbed at his hair nervously. "Dammit," he said under his breath, "it's not your fault."

Miyeon wasn't expecting it. She was still confused. It sounded like he wanted to be mad at Miyeon, but had enough pride to realize she was innocent. If that was true, why did she still feel guilty?

She opened her mouth to speak, but he interrupted. "Eat your breakfast. Jin made it for you." Jungkook gestured to the spilled tray, then walked right out the door. 

What the hell was that? Why did he even come in if he was having some internal crisis?

She didn't know the answers, but she still took a bite of Mr. Jin's toast. It tasted better than Letchner's.