Chapter Sixteen

"Did you go to school?" He tried to start off easy, as not all of his questions were so simple.

She laughed bitterly in response. " 'Homeschool'. You can imagine how well that went."

Jungkook's face twisted up. Sure, Miyeon got on his nerves and certainly needed to watch her mouth, but she didn't deserve to never have an escape from Letchner. By the sound of it, everything revolved around him and his torture.

"What was your mom like, then?" He knew if Letchner kept up his actions for so long, her mom must have been just as bad regardless of the details. But if he was actually going to hold up the end of his promise, the part where he trusted her...he wanted to know it all.

"Please. When she wasn't out with another guy or on vegetable-mode from heroine, she pretended she didn't know anything about what Letchner did." Miyeon felt her eyes fall to the ground. It probably didn't feel good to bring it back up.

Jungkook changed the subject, feeling uncomfortable with her recollection of her parents. 

"What other field work did he put you to? I mean, besides dealing and shit."

"You what?!"

"How'd you kill him?"

"Shit, Miyeon, how many people have you killed?"

Every time she answered, a new one came to him. Miyeon had not only dealt with Letchner's abuse, but also completed gang work, committed murder, and faked a prostitution job. How had she even survived? People must have had the opportunities to kill her off more than once, including her own family. She must have been more skilled or valuable than Jungkook ever gave her credit for, as much as he hated to admit it.

"I've only killed twice," she scowled. "I mean, you saw one right? Don't get ahead of yourself. Besides, you're the hitman here."

"I don't keep a kill count," he said smugly. "I would lose track too often."

"Right."

"Why did that sound sarcastic?"

Miyeon rolled her eyes. "Anything else? Or can I sleep?"

Jungkook thought for a moment. He definitely had more. He could have questioned her all night. But despite her invitation, something stopped him. The whole ordeal was so unconventional, he felt the need to process first. "Eh. I'm tired, too." He stood up from the bed and stretched his arms out lazily. "See? Maybe not being a prick isn't such a bad thing."

Miyeon glared. "But it wasn't so hard to not be an asshole either, huh?"

Jungkook shook his head and smirked, then began to leave the room. He flicked the light off. 

"Wait!"

Jungkook paused right before shutting the door completely. "What?"

In the dark, he couldn't see Miyeon, but there was an uneasiness in her voice. "Just keep the light on."

Jungkook turned the light back on, giving her a suspicious look. Why would she need the light on? She wasn't going to try anything, right? 

Miyeon raised her eyebrows. "What? You think having the lights are gonna help me sneak around?" She made an exaggerated gesture to her stomach.

Jungkook waved her away. "Whatever. Go to sleep." Leaving the light on, he shut the door behind him and exited the room.

When he was back to his bedroom, the facts hit him all at once. It was the first time he had left an encounter with her without having any feelings of hate or agitation or mockery. He had actually learned more than he expected. Miyeon had lived a crazy, crime-infested life like any of the members of Bangtan.

She really wasn't much different than them.

It left a bad taste in his mouth, but he already knew he needed to get over it. He sighed to himself. "I hope you're happy, Jimin."

At that moment, his phone rang. Jungkook picked it up to see it was Hoseok. He had completely forgotten about their outing while he was with Miyeon.

"Hey," he answered. 

"So," Hoseok began. His voice was more of a grunt. Shouting filled the background, presumably from Jimin and Tae. "Looks like we're gonna be a little later than expected. This fucker tried to run. We're gonna find him."

"There's no rush," Jungkook said wistfully. "And give him some good hits for me, would you?"

ooooh look a sexy new cover page ~