Chapter XXI

Wendy bolted up from her position on the ground after the sound of her friend's scream ripped her from her dreamworld.

Her body was tense as she glanced around to analyze the threat. But there wasn't one.

Now confused, Wendy turned to face Carla and was shocked by the tears streaming down her cheeks from her very wide eyes.

When Meredy heard Carla scream, she too bolted up from her position on the ground, a Maguilty Sword automatically formed in her hand as she gazed around them.

Seeing nothing dangerous or menacing anywhere near them, she turned to question the exceed on the reason why she screamed but halted at the obviously terrified look on her tear-streaked face.

When Jellal and Lucy were both startled out of their sleep by their friend's scream, their bodies acted unconsciously to a potential threat.

Jellal had quickly placed himself in front of Lucy, golden light surrounding his body as he prepared to defend against an unknown enemy.

Lucy had instinctively transformed into her Capricorn Star Dress and glanced around widely, searching for the cause of her friend's distress.

When both of them saw and sensed nothing dangerous, their turned to Carla in hopes of asking what happened but stopped when they saw her face.

She looked terrified.

Wendy was the first to break the silence. "Carla?" she asked quietly as she tentatively approached the exceed. "Are you okay?"

Carla didn't answer her; it was like she didn't even hear her. Even though her eyes were open, she seemed to be lost in her thoughts about....something.

Wendy hesitated before she slowly reached out and brought Carla to her in a hug.

However, as soon as Carla was embraced, she seemed to snap out of her shock.

She sucked in a huge breath and started rapidly blinking her eyes. She looked around and was surprised to see Wendy holding her and Meredy, Lucy, and Jellal staring at her worriedly.

"Wendy? Guys, what's going on?"

Lucy let out a sigh and came out from behind Jellal to approach the two girls, the other two not far behind her. "That's what we were going to ask," she said.

"Why did you scream?" Meredy asked.

Carla furrowed her brow in confusion. "I screamed?" she asked in bewilderment.

"Hai, you did," Meredy answered her.

Carla frowned.

"Try thinking back," Lucy suggested. "Try to think about what could've caused you to react in the way that you did."

Carla nodded her head and closed her eyes.

Last night, we were getting ready to go to bed but Meredy wanted to sing a song that Ultear used to sing to her. Afterwards, we all started falling asleep. I started dreaming about Edolas for some reason but then....my dream shifted.

Carla's eyes widened in alarm.

"I...I remember," she said quietly.

Everyone's eyes widened at her declaration.

Carla extracted herself from Wendy's hug and moved to sit opposite them, transforming into her human form as she went.

She took a deep breath, and then said, "I think I had a premonition."

Wendy and Lucy gasped in shock while Meredy and Jellal frowned in confusion.

"You get premonitions?" Meredy asked.