Chapter IX

Ok first off, I want to say thanks to everyone who's reading this fanfic. I really didn't expect this many people to be interested in this so THANK YOU all so much! Now let's continue the story.

It was barely sunrise. There was a slight chill in the air and a thin layer of fog on the ground. In the woods near the Crocus capital, we find four people and an exceed sleeping on the ground. Blue hair, pink hair, blonde hair, and white fur could be seen amongst the green that is the forest floor.

Wendy Marvel, Sky Dragon extraordinaire, was sleeping soundly in her sleeping bag with her exceed Carla curled up against her.

Meredy Milkovich, user of the lost magic Maguilty Sense, was lying on her back, unaware of the slight drool going down her chin.

And finally, we have Jellal Fernandes and Lucy Heartfilia, who were both lying on their backs next to each other but had their hands up near their heads on the ground. However, the curious little detail is that their pinkies of their hands were touching.

Not so much as to be curled around the other but enough to be able to feel the warmth of the finger.

Out of the people laying there, it was Lucy that had begun to stir. Slowly but surely her consciousness returned to her. Her eyelids fluttered briefly before they opened completely. She quickly blinked away the blurriness and saw the early morning light and, turning her head to the left, the cloud like fog that surrounded her and her friends on the forest floor. A warm breeze was gently washing over her, making her feel content but also igniting a shiver down her spine.

Feeling a slight warmth on her right hand Lucy turned her head to see what it was. And promptly blushed the color of Erza's hair.

Jellal was sleeping less than two feet away with his left hand outstretched slightly and his pinkie finger was touching hers. The 'warm breeze' she thought she felt was actually his breath as he breathed in and out.

And Lucy, being the intense bookworm that she is, blushes even more when a particular myth she read about comes to mind.

There is a vein in your body that leads from the heart to the pinkie, so small that it is sometimes overlooked. That is why when we promise things from the heart we wrap our pinkies together. It is said that the Kami have destined everyone with someone they're supposed to meet. That this person is meant to be at your side and to be with you forever after you have met. The Kami have tied these people together with an invisible red string only they can see, with each end being tied around a person's pinkie. It is better known as 'The Red String Of Fate'. It can get twisted, tangled, or stretched but it can never be broken, for the two people who've been connected by the string are destined by the Kami themselves.

Lucy stared at Jellal for a moment longer before she retracted her hand ever so slowly, and got up from her sleeping bag.

Wow...I don't even know how we got that close, much less how we came to touch. But it felt so warm, like you're sitting in front of a fireplace and you stick your hands out in front of you. I know it sounds strange but....now my whole hand feels cold.

With a final glance towards Jellal, Lucy went off to freshen up—and to clear her head. Minutes later she was pulling on clean clothes curtesy of Virgo and was about to head back towards the others when she had second thoughts.

They're probably still sleeping. It couldn't hurt to go walking around for a bit and see more of the forest.

With her mind set, Lucy picked a random direction and started walking. With the fog on the ground it made it kind of hard to see where she's stepping. So a few minutes later, when she came to a small clearing with a clear view of the sunrise, she almost missed the edge of a small cliff. Luckily, her newfound reflexes allowed her to safely avoid the fall.