"Because I want to." I flatly replied and tried to deceive myself that I was actually listening to miss Estelle.

"Why?" He asked again.

"Can you ask this some other time? I'm trying to concentrate here."

"Like hell you are. Half the class is sleeping and you look bored as hell."

"Hell isn't boring. It's lit."

"Haha. Funny." He said humorlessly. "Are you still mad about a certain bracelet?"

The bracelet. I'd almost forgotten about what happened yesterday but he just had to bring it up.

"It's nothing. I just want to be on my own."

"Really?"

"Yeah. So you can go back to your redhead." I said and immediately clamped my hand over my mouth. Why did I say that? Now I sounded like a jealous wannabe girlfriend.

"Redhead ? Do you, by chance, mean Cindy?"

I was going to say whatever but my phone buzzed in my bag, shutting me up. I pulled it out and placed it on my lap, swiping up to read the message.

Almond: sorry I didn't text earlier. I got home safely tho it was a little after nine pm. And I actually composed a message but forgot to hit send. I know you're in class now so I'll call you after three pm. Do you cook?

"Hmm. So you're not really on your own then."

"It's rude to read people's messages!" I shouted, drawing the attention of miss Estelle.

"Miss Parker." She called and I stood up. "Since you seem to know more about this class, can you tell us four listener purposes?"

"There are listener purposes?" I asked, clearly confused.

"Yes. So give me four of them." She paused. "Or just one."

"Critical listening." Cameron whispered to me.  What the fuck is critical listening?

"Miss parker."

"Critical listening." I said.  It sounded so stupid in my head and I hoped it wasn't really stupid.

"You narrowly escaped detention. You can sit."

I sat down and heaved a sigh of relief.

"Um, where's my thank you?"

"You caused it." I shot back at him, quietly this time.

The bell rang and all the sleeping students arose. Funny how she could ignore people sleeping but wanted to detain me for shouting. Before she could pick up her bag, some students had already dashed out of the class.

"What's up with you?" Cameron held my arm as I moved to pick my notebook.

"Nothing." I wiggled free of his hold.

"Fine then." He stepped aside for me to move past him. I must confess, I felt a bit disappointed. I'd thought he'd press further until I told him what the problem was. I didn't let the disappointment show on my face as I walked away. Only to meet Aurora at the door.

"Excuse me." I said through my teeth when all I wanted to do was push her.

"Chill. I'm not here to fight you. I only wanted to ask about your bracelet."

"The one your boyfriend took. I wonder why it's not on your arm already." Because it's in your house. My inner voice was so right but I couldn't let them know that.