20

I didn't go to the hospital till the next morning but I'd forwarded the message to my step mother who was pacing round the hospital reception when I arrived with Dory.

"Where were you?" She barked,oblivious of her surrounding.

"At home." I lied. I'd gone to the house earlier to do a quick check and realized that no one went back home. They all went straight to the hospital to see Laney.

"And how did you get the message of Laney's accident?" She asked again, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Someone sent it to me." I said leaving out the part that it was her date.

Feeling somewhat satisfied by my reply, she returned to pacing around the room.

Dad came into the reception room with a man trailing behind him. I don't know if he was a doctor or a nurse. He wore a white overall but he wasn't hanging a stethoscope over his shoulders so I wasn't sure of his exact profession.

Immediately my stepmother saw him, she walked straight to them. "How is she?". The emotion in her voice felt strange to me. So this woman could feel. She felt pain for her daughter in the hospital. Her daughter. Something I wasn't. That's why she'd never..

"They say she has to undergo an operation." Dad said as the man behind him gave my step mother a form to fill.

"I wonder what happened." Dory whispered to me.

"Where's Hailey?." Dad asked.
I was also thinking the same thing. Even Laney's supposed date wasn't around. Maybe he didn't want to be questioned

"In the car. She won't come out." My stepmother answered as she dropped the pen. But that wasn't the only thing she dropped. She'd also stained the paper with a teardrop.

Dad nodded and turned to the doctor/nurse. "Is there anything else we need to do?"

"Only wait and pray." He replied and left.

"What happened?." I finally got to ask.

"We should be asking you that." My step mother spat.

"Not now Eunice. " Dad held her hand and turned to me. "She attended a wild party, got drunk and decided to race with someone. She crashed into another car and while the other driver survived with minor injuries,she had a big piece of glass stuck in her neck. The doctors say its a miracle she's alive. The glass touched her throat and she needs to undergo  surgery to be able to eat normally again." He sighed after talking. 

I was surprised at how much information he gave me and even more surprised at the way he'd stopped my step mother.
I stole a glance at my step mother and saw that she was even more shocked than I was. She made eye contact with me and opened her mouth to speak but Dory dragged me out of the room before I could hear a word of what she wanted to say.

"Why did you bring me out?".

"Can't you see she doesn't need you? They didn't even thank you for sending the text. Instead, she was asking stupid questions. We're not going to stand there and watch them like movie, we're actually going to watch a movie. "

"What? What movie."

"I got us four tickets to watch 'now you see me 2' ".

"Four? Who,who, who and who?." I asked and then realised I sounded like a mad dog.

"Me,you,Cam and Eric. Now come." She said as she continued dragging me till we reached the car park. "They're supposed to be here." She looked around and frowned.

At exactly 10 minutes later,Eric and Cameron came in a red car. Eric was driving so I assumed its his car.

"Why did you guys go to a hospital?" Cameron asked.