5

The whole time on the dining table, dory kept staring at my hand. My left hand to be precise. Each time I lifted a glass of water, I could see her eyes followed me in amusement. Luckily, she didn't say anything.

Until we got back to my room.

"Why wasn't it changing when you were eating?" She said as soon as I closed my room door.

" We're you expecting it to change to the colour of every ingredient on the plate?"

" Yeah. Duh." She jumped on the bed. "But isn't it weird? Like you're not scared or something?"

" Scared of what?" I lifted one pillow, then the other. Where did I keep that notepad?

"The bracelet. I mean, I know of mood rings but I've never heard of chameleon bracelets."

Hearing chameleon bracelets made me laugh. " That was the exact same thing I thought. But then, it could just be improved technology. I don't think people freaked out this much when telephones were created."

" Telephones have a theory behind how they work. What's your theory?" She folded her arms.

"I don't know. But there has to be." I lifted the duvet and found the blue notepad lying facedown. "Okay. I've found it so let's focus on the assignment.

"For now." She added.

I don't know how long we stayed cross-legged on the bed but we'd managed to finish the assignment with romeo and Juliet having three children. Two boys and a girl. The girl however, committed suicide when her lover left her on the altar. The last part was entirely Dory's idea because she didn't want everything to be rosy.

Dory's mum had to come pick her up because we were too busy talking and we forgot to check the time. It was a really bad idea. I had to watch my step mother pretend to be nice and lovely all over again. Thankfully, Dory already understood everything and didn't let her mum fall for her tricks.

Immediately after they left, my stepmother pulled me to the side.

"So you're friends with the rich girl huh?"

" What rich girl?" I acted clueless.

" Don't even act smart with me" she shook my shoulders violently. " When next is she coming? Or we could go visit her." She left me and clasped her hands gleefully.

"We're just study partners. And I don't know her house. I wouldn't tell you even if I...." I wasn't prepared for the sting I felt. My hands automatically moved to rub my hot cheek.

"Get out of my sight!" She shouted. "Useless thing."

Her words didn't hurt me as much as my cheek did. I was sure it was going to leave a mark if I didn't do something about it. And so I ran.

I was getting ready for bed after I'd applied balm on my reddening cheek when my phone buzzed. I clicked the message icon and saw a new message from bestie?

Bestie: hey b

Barbara: Hey. Please who are you?

Bestie: Aurora 🙄

Barbara: sorry. I didn't remember giving you my number.

Bestie: I called my phone with yours.😌😌

Barbara: that explains it. So, you're home yet.

Bestie: yes. Shit! Mum's coming. Gotta pretend to sleep. Bye.

Barbara: bye.

I dropped my phone and sighed. I could hear my stepmother and my dad arguing. Whatever they were saying didn't matter to me because in a few seconds, the world didn't matter anymore.
_________________

The next day, I quickly had breakfast and ran out of the house before my stepmother woke up lest a repeat of yesterday happened. I was having chemistry practicals first period and I wanted to be very early to get complete apparatus for the experiments we were to carry out. Complete and working apparatus. The last time I was late for a practical, I was given a broken conical flask and a leaking pipette. To cut the long story short, I failed. I didn't want a repeat of that.

Opening the door, I met the lab empty. There was no one in but all the apparatuses had been set. I quickly walked over to the table to scan them for any damages before choosing the right set.

"I was expecting you to come in with Rory. But you didn't." I heard the voice of the last person I wanted to see this morning. I kept my back to her as I still didn't want to see her. She didn't seem to care as she continued talking. "It means I was right. Remember? By the way, what did you write about?"

"Look Amanda, I know you're mad that Dory chose me. I'm sorry. But I couldn't refuse." I managed to speak out.

I heard her walk a few steps forward till she was very close to me. So close I could have sworn I heard her inhale and exhale rapidly, probably trying to choke me with carbon dioxide.  "You could have refused!" She barked, making me jump.  "You could have...wait a minute! Did I hear you say Dory? So you now give nicknames. Wow! Well, I have a nickname. Or a lot of nicknames I could give you. But I'll save it. They're a lot more interesting things I could do. Let's start with.."

"You're here so early." The chemistry teacher interrupted, standing by the door. Thank you Sir. Just listen to your self. As if she was going to kill you. Shame.

"Yes Sir. I wanted to just get familiar with the equipment before everyone arrived." Amanda gave that fake smile that made the teachers believe she was a sweet innocent girl who couldn't hurt a fly.

"That's good." he replied. Just then the other students came flooding in like they planned to come at the same time.

Seeing that Amanda was distracted, I rushed to the stand I'd earlier inspected and grabbed the apparatuses before anyone else could. In a short while, everyone had gotten their apparatuses. Some complete and functioning, some not.

The door flung open and in rushed Dory."Sorry I'm late." She breathed.

"Miss Lance." The teacher frowned. "There's no time to start scrambling for equipment now. So just pair with someone."

"Thank you Sir." She came straight to me. "Looks like we're bonding a lot now." She smiled. And I saw Amanda frown.

Before I continue with the next chapter, I'll like to say that Barbara is a science student so most of the classes she's going to be having are science classes.

Having made that clear, how many of my readers are science students?

Don't forget to vote,comment and share.😘😘