Baby Basic pt.2 👶🏻

THE FIRST WEEK OF FEBRUARY, 2018
         "AACCK!" cried Lance as Keith pushed the handkerchief into his slowly swelling nose. The thin piece of cloth was  turning red and some droplets seeped down and splattered onto Keith dress.
     "Just hold still will you...stop being such a baby Lance it's just a bloody nose. It could've been much worse if you ask me..." Pidge said snarlingly as she leaned over Keith shoulder. The ravenette remained silent, watching intently as his husband scrunched his face.
      "Bwidge yer bveing mean" Lance mustered from the cloth, his eyes slowly falling onto his silent lover, whose grey eyes were intently trained on the blood gushing from his nostrils.
     "Hey" Lance whispered, his left hand cupping Keith right that was sprawled over his nose. The icy grey eyes met his blue ones, and for a minute they didn't talk. Then, while suttle, Keith gave a faint smile before squeezing the tan skinned man's nose tightly, causing him the yelp.
"Hold still" Keith said softly, wiping the remainder of the drips and simultaneously tilting Lance's head back. An ice pack was gently resting on his purple knuckles which he flexed several times to make sure he could still feel his fingers.
Without warning Pidge stood up from her position in one of the lobby chairs. The lobby of the hospital was as busy as ever, however the daunting present of the police guardsmen made the experience all the more eerie. Several officers had been called in when the fight broke out, but not a single one of them had dare to interrupt the small group.
      The door opposite of the waiting chairs the three were huddled swished opened, and in stepped Alice with Jane trailing behind her. They made a direct beeline for the small group, a worried expression lining Alice's face. As she got nearer, She placed a worried yet reassuring hand on Keith's shoulder, the ravenette giving a weak but calm smile back. Lance squeezed his hand.
"Are you two okay?" Alive asked in a low toned voice. Her eyes were tentative, mindlessly rubbing small circles on Keith upper back. Lance gave a small nod, muttering a "thank you" under his breath. As Alice looked up Pidge met her gaze, her own hazelnut like eyes giving off their own "it's okay" vibe. Alice let out a sigh.
"I'm sorry...mainly for what happened but also for Lances bruised nose. Does it still hurt?"
"Don't worry I'm fine. Keith fixed me up pretty well, and the ice pack is helping" Lance smiled at his spouse, who gave him a half hearted chuckle. Even though it wasn't obvious, he could tell Keith was somewhat distressed, which for him wasn't good for his maternal health.
"Okay that's good" Alice mumbled quietly. "I-Iwant you three to go home once the police have finished their reports and try and get some rest. Keith especially"
The ravenette nods quietly. Lance squeezes his hand again, this time slowly caressing his thumb.
"Please call me if there is any pain at all. If you feel more bloated than usual, your back is on the spritz and is shocking you a bit, or in the worse case scenario, you feel a disturbance in your womb, okay Keith?"
"Is there any reason for this?" Lance asks, an expression of concern riddled on his face. Alice pursed her lips.
"Keith and Pidge" Jane spoke up for the first time in a while, slowly side stepping Alice. Lance and Alice never broke their gaze, both leveling with each other quietly. Jane looked at them nervously before looking back at the two.
"Here...let me walk you two out to the car"
"...I want to stay" Keith rejected , squeezing Lances hand with whatever strength he had left. It was in the classic Keith fashion, stubborn and resilient to whatever was good for him.
"Babe c'mon. Go wait in the car" Lance calmly whispered. He saw Keith slightly chapped lips part in order to make a remark, but he was silenced when Lance pressed a kiss to his lips. Keith looked slightly shocked, but deflated quickly. He was pregnant, and despite wanting to admit it he was exhausted. Very exhausted.
Slowly Pidge and Jane helped him up from the waiting room chairs, and with both hands cradling the bump, left for the garage. His expression was one of blank worry. The three stepped into the  elevator and descended to the garage level.
Lance gave a long sigh.
"Alice" the doctor took a seat next to Lance, her red nails slowly scraping the bridge of her nose out of habit. She too gave a sigh, before settling down into the waiting room chair.
"I didn't want to talk about it in-front of Keith. It would only upset him more" She leaned back in her chair, resting wearily on the back of her waiting room chair. Lance mumbled a quick thanks before turning to her.
Lance gulped, licking his lips before asking his question. "What is there to talk about?"
Alice stared blankly at the ceiling, her hands shaking uncontrollably as she tries to form the words she needed to break the news to Lance. Lance gave her a look, his brows furrowing in slight frustration. He knew this wasn't going to be good...but whatever it was, it must've been better than waiting to actually know what it was. Lance became very stern.
"Alice."
She glanced to Lance and then back at the ceiling. She squeezed her eyes shut, then sat a bit straighter. She looked at Lance dead in the eyes. Her face was hard to read, nothing about it hinted at anything, nothing perfectly spelled out what the new was. And more than anything, that freaked Lance out.
"Keith's on watch for a miscarriage. I was told yesterday by some of our labs docs. His test results...some were in the red, Lance. We just...we just don't know where we could go from here".
The news shocked Lance, but even so, his face remained blank. Slowly he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees, dipping his head till his cowlick like hair hung down to his bruised hand. He had a calm expression on his face. At the moment he was much more caught up in the colors of the tiles than he was about Alice.
The doctor place a hand on top of Lances and gave it a squeeze. Lance gave her a glance, his expression as blank as a whiteboard, before standing suddenly. He excused himself for before turning to the elevator, heading down to the garage. That left Alice all alone in her waiting room chair. She but her lip, furrowing her brow. She chewed off the top layer of the nail polish out of self pity before heading back to the office.

•••••••••••

Keith relaxed himself into the car seat, his thumbs playing with the hem of his dress as he waited for Lance to be done talking with Alice. His sunken eyes no longer gleamed. Pidge sat quietly in the back.
She didn't have a lot of regrets, but she deeply regretted not having the chance to laugh along with Keith and Lance earlier in the day, back when the mood was less tense and more of the fun free spirit she knew both of her friends had was radiating out of them. Jane had already left to the ground level of the hospital, leaving Pidge and Keith in the car. The silence was eerie.
The driver door suddenly opened and in stepped Lance. Keith looked at him from under half lidded eyes. Lance gave a quick peck on the cheek. When he pulled back he could see the weariness and eyeshot expression on Lances face. He tried to smile, but drowsiness over took him quickly. Lance pulled back, tucking a black wisp behind Keith's ear. Turing the key in the ignition slot, the red Nissan drove towards the exit, the car remaining silent.

Keith never knew about what Lance and Dr.Alice had talked about. And for his own good, he would never know.