Myxie💄

STILL THE FIRST WEEK OF JANUARY, 2020
        Night had fallen over the apple city and the icy cold weather had frosted over the entire state. Light snow was falling, glazing over the glass of cars and buildings for miles.

Or in my case, the airplane window.

The glass was practically battling the cooled air outside, water slowly condensing into tiny droplets of crystal clear water.
       I sighed, bundling deeper into the new snowbird articles of clothing I picked back up in Florida. There was another delay in . The snow had piled up and the runway at the airport had been frozen over, creating a thick layer of ice. It was impenetrable, and quite dangerous.
I check my phone, smiling as I look at my screen saver. It won't be long till you hold me in your arms again I thought, quickly stuffing my portable device in my pocket, as the man to my right became interested in my life. I gave him a cold side-glare, probably colder than the ice outside, making his own eyes nervously looking away.
Another announcer came over the intercom, delivering the bad news of yet another delay. I sighed annoyingly, turning my attention back to the outside.
It was definitely a change in my norm. None of the family lives up here, so I can't comprehend why he would want to make any kind of lifestyle in such a cold and baring state. It didn't really matter the reason though. I didn't need one. The kind of risk I took to get here was astronomical, and I knew that it was clear that there was no turning back.
I leaned back in my chair, huffing as I began to collect my thoughts. There's no guarantee of anything really. I guess from here on out, I was going to have to depend on my luck.

Good thing I'm a typically lucky person

•••••••••••••••••••••

With the clock finally striking 12 in the morning, the pilots released all of the cranky passengers. Our bags were already unloaded into the turmoil of the airport. Passengers were few and far between, rushing out into the battering winds of receding winter.
I picked up my single medium size luggage bag and hauled it away with my small carry on. My red Stuart Weitzman "Ruby Slippers" clacked loudly as I hurriedly left the building, quite sick of the airport already.
I hailed a cab as I stepped through the sliding glass doors. A man in a cap pulled the cheese-colored coat up to the front of the loop. He stepped out and offered to help my bag into his trunk. I watched him heave my bag as if it was extremely heavy into the back trunk. His eyes kept farting to me with a desperate look in his pupils. Not that I could see it though, my red nail polish had been chipped away hauling the heavy bastard to the front.
       Once it was safely in the trunk, he stood to shake my hand. He dare even pat my shoulder as though we were somehow "pals". I slapped his hands away as I climbed into the car, checking my small hand mirror as he slunk back to the driver seat, a disappointed look in his eye.
    "Okay ma'am, where are we headed to late this evening?" He asked, plastering an amateur grin on his face.
    "5749 Maple Statue Ave, New York, New York 10039" I answered, not giving it much thought or my full attention to this man. "Deliver me there promptly and I might consider giving you a tip"
      The man nodded and began a route leading out of the airport. I watched the building pass by, blurred with the haze of orange street lights. I sighed.
      Life so far had been a a complete b*tch. Judging parents, crazy debts, and a twisty turning love relationships always around the corner. Something just wasn't clicking in this crazy world I was living in. So it started to occur to me that simple was better complicated. Thus, I've made the ultimate decision to return back to the simple. And hopefully-no, definitely-get my life under control.
     "Ma'am we've arrived. Shall I take you luggage out of the trunk?" The man asked in his annoyingly cheerful tone. I rolled my eyes, popping open the car door with ease. I quickly noticed the ominous looming building in the nights,.
     I looked up at the 5 story building. It looked fairly modern, for an apartment at least. It was partly covered in the now weak winter snow, barely grasping onto the windows and railings. I could see a few lights on the top floor. He's there, I know it.
     "Okay ma'am that would be five dol-" I cut him off, grabbing my luggage and hauling it up the curb and into the building. He kept calling after me like a dog, but I readily ignored him.
    I made it to the elevator, hearing his car screech and some curses as he u-turned out of the complex. I got on the elevator and began the journey upward.
This is it. This is finally it. I thought watching the number gradually increase. I had only one chance to nail this. If not then...
     The elevator dinged, opening metal doors sliding slowly to the sides. I strolled my luggage out of the tiny shuttle on to the newly carpeted floors. I could hear voices at the end of the halls and behind big oak doors. I began the walk, hesitantly, careful where I stepped and when.
    246. I had already memorized the number of his apartment and had memorized where it was on the floor plans.
    I stopped rolling my suitcase at the large oak door, double checking that it was the right number and right door as well. I parked it, took a breathe, and faced the large oak slab, knowing full well what was on the other side.
     I brushed my fingers over the wood, taking in its polished feel. I knew I was stalling, but no matter how minuscule the effort, it was still an effort.
     I took another shaky breath, lifting my head and feeling my heartbeat, syncing in the rhythm.