1

The night is silent as I make my way down the cold and empty street. It's dark, my only light coming from the moon and stars in the sky. Not even the lamp posts give off a flicker, their bulbs having given out years ago.

There are houses on either side of me, their presence large and menacing. It's like they're staring down at me, their broken windows like large eyes wide with curiosity. Some houses have doors that are closed off to the world, as if a family still sleeps quietly on the other side, keeping away any predators that might roam through the quiet neighborhood. But most doors are wide-open or gone completely, a gaping hole into a dark and empty hole.

Vegetation has slowly made its way up the sides of the old homes, tall vines wrapping around the framing like long fingers. Tree branches poke through windows and wood on the higher up floors and each yard is completely overgrown with weeds and grass.

The only sound as I continue down the long and desolate street is my breath, the heavy gasps loud in my ears. My heart hammers in my chest and I try my hardest to calm it with no avail. You would think that after three years of endless walking, I would be in better shape, that running for ten minutes straight would be nothing compared to the other bullshit that I've been through. But I guess that's just not the case.

I freeze as a sound from my left makes its way to my ears, a yell through the quiet night. It's faint, but it's getting closer. I hold my breath, my heart hammering even harder in my chest. Not again.

The sound comes again, louder and closer. Now it sounds like footsteps, each sound hitting the ground hard. I realize that it's now coming from up ahead, about to turn the corner and come right to me. Thinking fast, I quickly make my way off the street and into the remains of an old minivan. I bite my lip to keep my breathing quiet as I curl into a ball on the floor. Please don't find me.

I listen as the footsteps become louder. I realize now that there are two pairs of feet and I close my eyes knowing that with two of them, I don't stand a chance. I have to keep myself from crying out as the pair stops right outside my hiding spot, breathing hard.

"Shit," a voice says, my eyes snapping open. "You think we lost it?" The voice comes out in pants. They lean up against the rusty car, their weight causing the frame to creek under the pressure.

"God I hope so," the other voice says, breathing just as hard.

"Should we keep going?" The first voice says again.

"Yeah," the second says. "Just... Just give me a minute."

Silence follows as I listen to them both take deep breaths. Their voices are deep, meaning that they're most likely male. From the way they both leaned against the van, their weight causing it to tilt makes me believe that their either really strong or really fat.

Or the car is just old and so rusted that it will break under even the littlest of pressure.

This thought is confirmed as another sound pierces the night, this time coming from right under me. The floorboards of the car groan under my weight and I squeal as it completely gives out underneath me. I hit the ground hard as metal and rust cover me. I cough as dust makes its way into my lungs and I can barely move under the crushing weight of the vehicle.

"What the-" I hear the first voice curse as they both quickly move to get the van off of me.

Once I'm free, I quickly stand up and continue to cough, my lungs on fire and my eyes stinging. It takes me a moment to regain control of my body as I slowly open my eyes. It also takes me a moment to notice the warm hand on my shoulder as one of the boys steadies me. My eyes meet the dark iris's of his, his eyes squinted in concern.

"Are you okay?" The second asks and my eyes then meet his. I stare at the both of them, not really sure what to say. The only thought that seems to cross my mind at this moment is, they are so cute.

The boy in front of me then waves his hand in front of my face and I quickly come back to my senses, closing my mouth only after realizing it had been hanging open.

"Oh," I quickly straighten myself and shake my head. "S-sorry. You just... Surprised me."

The other boy raises a dark eyebrow and I watch as it disappears behind the black hair the covers his forehead. "Why were you in there?"

"Um," I stammer, suddenly embarrassed and I feel the white of my cheeks turn red. "I-I heard you coming and I- I had thought that... That you guys were... You know."

"An Unliving?" The first boy asks, shaking his silvery hair out of his eyes. He plants a smile on his face as he lets out a nervous laugh. "Nah. Just us. Though, I should mention that we are currently being chased by one."

"Yeah... Tae. Speaking of which," the other boy says, raising a finger. We all look over as a gruntled scream comes from up the street. Sure enough, a deranged zombie staggers its way towards us, its mouth gaping and skin shedding with each step.

I groan and turn away. "Why are they so active tonight?"

The first boy - Tae, I guess is his name - shrugs. "They're usually pretty active in bigger neighborhoods like this."

The second boy shakes his head and takes a deep breath. "Can we continue this later? We should really go."

Tae nods and without another word, we take off running again. I run behind them, not really sure where else to go. We round a few corners, the Unliving just right behind us. As we come up to what used to be a main road, we quickly stop as we cross paths with yet another zombie.

"This way!" The dark haired boy says, grabbing my arm. We chase after Tae who suddenly jumps, confusing me.

He disappears. I stop, really confused now, but I don't have enough time to process before I'm being dragged to a hole in the ground. "Quick," he says, his eyes darting up. "Jump."

"What!?"

He looks at me annoyed before turning back to the two undead creatures slowly getting closer. "Fine. You do whatever, but I prefer living." Then he jumps, the hole in the ground swallowing him. I swallow hard and lick my lips, my heart never slowing as I squeeze my eyes shut, I jump.