Chapter 23: Choppers vs Monster & Police Parade

The Beast is 1067nmiles from New Marais

Absorb 5 move Blast Cores to use the RFI

Cole and Cassie around around the area as they were collecting Blast Shards and dead drops as best as they could, trying to become stronger and more informative on the situation, they even stop muggings and defused bombs, but as they stop another mugging, the man thanks them and ran, then Cassie looks down at the body and heard a radio on him, she walks over, leans down, took the radio and stood back up. "Joe-Joe, you hearing this? Convoy's moving without you." a man said on the radio.

The two exchanged looks and the ran down the street and then through the alley, passing the transformer and onto the street where three trucks were driving down the road and Militia was guarding them, Cassie threw a grenade onto a truck and it exploded. Then Cole fired at the Militiamen that were trying to keep them back, but he took them down easily, she then fires at the second truck, taking it out and Cassie took out the last one. They both exhaled and then took off running.

~8~8~8~

They both exhaled as they sat down on the roof and exhales, "Well, things just keep getting better and better." Cole jokes and Cassie laugh at the terrible joke. "Oh, I have a few for dead drops, "Should give us a bit of light on Bertrand is trying to do," she states as she pulls her phone from her belt. He smirks at her then she flips her phone open and she presses play

"Observations of Subject 881, files C152. Today we had a surprise visit to the lab. One of Bertrand's charters buses unloaded fifty-two men with curious accents requiring medical screening. Every one of them was in top physical condition. They were soldiers and veterans. I called one over to review his file and asked him about the symbol on his duffel bag. He admitted they were from Vermaak 88, a private Military firm out of South Africa. During the examination, I discovered scar tissue covering his body. Landmines, shrapnel, bullets, machetes. The whole group was similarly decorated. Needless to say, the exams took longer than excepted. I thought perhaps Bertrand was recruiting some new muscle. Subject 881 was surprised I wasn't well informed and become tight-lipped. He did let slip that in fact, Bertrand was the one being paid. Then he laughed at my expression. Why was Bertrand being paid? He refused to say. Many more buses followed."

The recording stops then Cassie plays the next one.

"Audio surveillance of Lucy Kuo, file G84." "I realize you've placed a lot of faith in me, Kuo. I want to be deserving of that faith." "And... right now you're not?" "I need to confess something to you. The NSA asked me to record our conversations, without your knowledge." "What? Why?" "They never told me, perhaps it's because you carry the Conduit gene. I don't know." "How often do you-" "All the time. If you like, I can submit copies to you along with my regular reports. I'm on your side."

The recording ended and then Cassie played the next one.

"Audio surveillance of Joseph Bertrand, file B144." "What kind of lemon are you trying to sell to me, doctor?" "The Transfer Device works precisely as designed. We're seeing an 86% power exchange rate... between individual Conduits. But what you're trying to do-" "I'm trying to turn a profit, Doctor. Your fancy machines cost money." "Splitting the power stream among multiple recipients is dangerous! The results could be highly unstable." "As long as it works, we're in business. Make it work."

The recording ends and Cassie played the Next one.

"I paid a visit to the First Sons' dorms where the Vermaak men were housed. Subject 881 approached me, and we took a walk. The recording follows." "You mean... agitated, doctor." "I figured out what Bertrand has in store for you. He's going to use the Transfer Device, isn't he?" "I'm sorry, you know I can't say." "Do you know who the conduit is?" "I just... can't comment on this." "You need to know something. The Transfer procedure was never designed to split abilities among multiple recipients. I don't know what it'll do." "You... just got my attention." "Theoretically, you'll all be over-clocked, so to speak. you'll receive a portion of a conduit's true power, but your body will wear itself out trying to sustain it. You may go insane." "Why are you telling me this, doctor? Bertrand, he wouldn't like it." "I'm not a brave man. But if I'm right, and you and your men lose control... then I'll have far more to fear from you than Bertrand."

The recording ends and Cassie played that last one.

"Audio surveillance X04, meeting with NSA Agents John White and Lucy Kuo." "I've been observing Cole Macgrath and Cassandra O'Connell for weeks now and I'm starting to get the clearer picture." "We're pretty antsy over here, John. What have you found." "Well, despite overwhelming adversity, I believe MacGrath O'Connell is everything we hoped for. I mean, countless times I've watches them stop and heal civilians. They go out of their way to help people, MacGrath even took the O'Connell kid under his wing and declared her as his own. If Kessler's predictions of the Beast are true, it'll take more than heroism to stop him. We have not one, but two angels in our pocket this these two, it's hard to imagine losing." "Thanks for the update. Wolfe and I clearly have some thinking to do."

The recording stops and the two looked at each other, "So Bertrand was having soldiers ship in and tested on?" Cole asks her as she closes her phone and places it back on her belt. "Maybe, but my guess, he's trying to build an army or something and this Transfer Device, I think the Conduit was Kuo." she informs him, he nods at her, "Those icemen were surprised and couldn't control their powers." he states she exhales and nods at him, "But I got this feeling there there's another Conduit here in the city, besides you, men and Nix." she states and he looks at her, "What makes you say that?" he asks her and she just shrugs, "How do you explain the monsters that have been showing up and fighting the Militia?" she asks him and this shocks him, "Wait, wait, wait? You mean to tell me, that those monsters that have been trying to kill us, were human?" he asks and she nods at him, "And Someone used the Transfer Device and gave them powers, making them how they are." she states and it clicks in his mind. "Of course," he mutters and runs his hands over his face. "Which begs the question; Who is this mysterious new Conduit?" he asks and Cassie just sighs, "Guess we're just going to have to find out."

~8~8~8~

The two walk along the street people took pictures of them and they stop as the new come on, explain the happening that was going on outside New Marais. As death and destruction were moving down the way, some people were surviving with newly found powers just like Cole and Cassie and they were still getting blamed for all of it. "Really? I thought we already cleared up that we're not terrorists and that we're victims too?" Cassie questions, but Cole pats her head. "There there," he assures her and she just sighs.

But as they walk past the alley a man waves at them, getting their attention then they look at him, jogs up and stood in front of him. "They think they're helping by fighting the monsters, but a lot of innocent people are getting shot at in the crossfire. We really need your help," he informs them and they nodded at him, then they then ran out of the alley and right down the street, seeing the Militia, with their chopper, firing at that monsters as two Reavers were in the fight. So the readied themselves and ran into the fight, Cole took down the Militia and the Reaver as Cassie fired at the monster and the other reaver, then they fell to their deaths and the two looked up that the chopper as it aims its guns at them, but then two threw grenades at it and then, it smokes a little, then sent missiles at them, but then two sent it right back at it and it spins out of control flying over the street and crashed into the river, the two flinched then walked over and watches as the chopper sank into the river, the two then looked around at the destruction all of the battles cause then they looked at each other and took off running.

~8~8~8~

The two pant as they were back in town, both hutch over with their hands to their knees and then look at each other, "Man that was hard." Cassie states and Cole nods a little. "Yup hard," he states and then they both laugh it off. "OH we are getting better at this, aren't we?" she asks him

he and nods as they both stood up and stretched a little, but then a girl was waving at them, so they stop in their stretch and then walk over to her, she looks around as she was trying to keep watch then she looks back at them, "Those rednecks are taking people off the street and marching them away. The ones they take nobody ever sees again. You have to find them and stop them." she said to them, they nodded at her and took off, they ran down the street, across it came at the church and then found them.

Cassie whistles at them, getting their attention as Cole snuck up behind them, knocking a few out, then Cassie charges forward and took the last few out, the cops stood up and cheers for them as they pinned down the Militia and then they both bowed to the officers and then took off running.