Chapter 9: Evolution

The two were both chilling out on a rooftop, eating some food that they had bought, it was good to relax and chow down on some food to regenerate their strength, but then Cole's phone went off. The two look at it then they put down their food and he answers it, "Wolf had speculated that absorbing Blast Cores might expose some of your dormant powers." Kou informs them. Cole looks at Cassie she shrugs at him and took a bit of her sandwich, Cole swallows his and exhales, "Right like when we were captured by the government and they tried to put a chip inside my head, Cassie came in, body completely pure energy and went loose." he states Cassie looks at him and swallows her food, "Yeah, but I was mostly angry and I just snapped." she informs him.

"What?" Kuo asks them, then it clicks in their heads, "Ooohh yeah, we never told her." Cassie states and Cole just chuckles. "Yeah, but that a story for another time. alright. How do we activate them?" he asks her, "I think the key is to stress your bodies by using your powers in a different ways." she informs him, Cassie suddenly felt suspicious and narrows her eyes, "Different how?" she questions, Cole shook his head, "So we just mix it up while frying the Militia? That's it?" he asks her, "Try it out, I spotted a squad holed up near your position." she informs him and he hung up, then he stood up and dust himself off. "Come on sweetheart," he tells her, offering his hand, she exhales then took his hand and he pulls her to his feet.

Then they ran along the roof, jumps and glides over to the next one, then the ran to the edge, jump down and lands on their feet and ran across the road, passing the drummer and then hear a cry as they crossed the street. "Help! They're going to kill us!" a woman calls out, making them stops and Cassie answers her phone as it rang, "Militia have found themselves more "deviants." If you don't do something those folks are gonna be target practice." Zeke warns her, she then looks at Cole, he nods at her and they jump the wall and ran at the Militia, Cassie jumps at them, placing her hands on the back of their necks, smacking them against the ground and then they gurgled and grunted as she electrocuted them, she stood up and dust her hands, then Cole pats her back, she looks at him he nudge his head at the gunshots, she nods at him then restrained the Militia men then they ran forward and saw the cops were firing at the Militia. They didn't waste any time and ran into the gunfight and they pull out their weapons and attack the Militia, but Cassie cries out as she smacks against the ground, Cole turns and then saw a Militiaman with a shot-gun, he growls then fires at the man, he was then knocked down and Cole ran to Cassie and helps her back to her feet. She pants and nods at him assuring that she was alright, he nods at her and they pull themselves back into the fight.

All ten of the Militiamen were knocked down and restrained against the ground, and they both exhaled and rolled their joints and felt a bit more powerful. "Yeah, feels about right." Cole states. Cassie raised her hands and saw the electricity that cracked along her hands. She smiles then looks at the wall and she dashes forward, Cole looks at her as she climbs up the wall and onto the roof. Cole exhales then hurried after her, he climbs up the wall when she reaches the top, only to see her, jump down off the edge, he rolls his eyes and exhales. "This girl has way too much energy," he grumbles then pulls himself back up. Then as she reaches the side, he found Cassie climbing back up the wall and was on the edge of the roof, she notices his runner sneakers, then looks up at him and smile, "Hi." she said and he shook his head at her. Then helps her up. "What were you doing?" he asks her, she then looks down and points at the sidewalk, he looks down and saw that people were getting back up onto their feet. He exhales and looks at her and pats her head, "Of course." he states and she smiles at him, "Well, let's give this new power a try?" he states, removing her head. She nods at him and they both raised their heads to the sky and fired.

Three blast bolts shot right out and flew into the sky, Cassie laughs and she looks down at her hand. Then her phone went off "Not too shady, you two! Gonna miss your other lighting, though. Had a "classic" feel to it." Zeke informs them, "Switching back, pretty easy." Cole informs him and Cassie ends the call, she then raised her hand, thought for a moment then fired a single bolt. Then she thinks again and fired three at once. "How did you do that?" Cole asks her, and she looks at him, "Well, I thought about it and it happened." she answers him. He nods at her then raised his head and did the same thing as well. Fired three at fired, then signal bolt then three more bolts. "It stands to reason your other powers should be able to grow in similar ways." Kuo informs them and Cole nods at her, looking at his hands, "Alright, this is great, Kuo. Cassie and I will monkey around a bit, see what I can come up with." he informs her and hung up.

Cole then looks at Cassie as she nods at him, then they look out at the city ran for the edge and jumps down onto the streets. The two stood right up, the people looked at them, taking pictures and were praising them and ran down the sidewalk, but Cassie phone went off and she answers it, "Well, I'm glad you two are making progress because I'm not. I lost trail on Wolfe and the clock is ticking. Once the Militia gets what they want out of him, he's as good as dead." Kuo warns them, "We ain't gonna take out the beast without that guy, he's the whole reason we're here." Zeke agrees with her, sounding a little stressed. "Clam down, if we can get Bertrand to talk he'll know where Wolfe is," Kuo informs him. "Who?" Zeke asks, "Wait, I heard that name before. From one of Wolfe's dead drops." Cassie states as she looks up at Cole. "Joseph Bertrand, the leader of the Militia. He's an elusive guy most of the time. But tonight he's giving a speech in front of St. Ignatius." Kuo informs them and the two stop in their tracks. "Don't think we got a choice, we need to grab that fella after his speech and find out where he's finding Wolfe." Zeke states and Cole looks down at Cassie and she nods at him, "Okay, time to meet Mr. Bertrand." Cole states and she smirks at him.