Precious and Protected

**********************************

Thunderstorms.

Out of all things that could terrify you in the world, it was the ear splitting sound of cracking thunder that followed the flashes of light. Not the idea you could be eaten alive by a Titan or even titans themselves. No, it was thunderstorms that made you anxious. It was almost childish but you couldn't help it.

Yet here you were, standing outside in the pouring rain, the night sky void of moonlight and stars. The storm was at its peak over you and the thunder that rumbled the earth and the blinding light didn't faze you. You were too engrossed in your thoughts, emotions running rampant. Worry, excitement, fear. When one emotion would run its course, you felt a wave another.

How am I going to tell him...?

For once in your life, the thunder didn't make you jump in fright because all you wanted was for this rain to wash away your thoughts.

Your confused tears kept mixing in the rain that pelted your face and you attempted to gather yourself together. You'd been out here hiding for two hours now; he would come and find you eventually. You knew well enough he was going to be worried. But the thought of going back inside headquarters seemed daunting and you decided to instead, sit down against a wall for a moment. Sparing others from your emotional issues was a top priority to you for now.

As long as the rain let up a little, the Survey Corps was going to do some cleanup work around Wall Rose tomorrow. Titans have been hanging out around the walls lately and Commander Erwin Smith has been ordered by the general to push them back.

And that's why you were scared.

You haven't felt that way since your days as a recruit but you were terrified of the titans again and the idea that you could die.

You absently put a hand on your abdomen. The waves of uncontrollable weeping, the random nausea, and a sudden aversion to the idea of eating gruel or the other disgusting crap the military had to eat some days were pretty clear to you now. Your poor husband had no idea what you were going through either; he was a busy man.

"Dammit to hell!" you heard a faint voice through the rain. You cringed inwardly and waited for the person to approach you. "I've been looking everywhere for you! And the hell are you doing out here for? You hate thunderstorms."

Despite the general acidity in the tone you could tell there was relief underlying in the words. A figure crouched down in front of you and you lifted your gaze up to the man you married two years ago. Levi automatically looked more concerned at the sight of your red eyes.

"Hey...what's wrong with you?" He touched your face gently, moving aside some of your dripping hair. You didn't answer but instead closed your eyes and leaned slightly into his hand. He was so warm compared to the cold rain; even the wedding ring on his finger that touched your skin gave you some solace.

With a heavy sigh, he moved to help you up. "It's cold. You're going to fall ill so let's get you inside."

"Yeah..." you replied quietly as you rose to a stand.

"I can't afford to have you sick tomorrow. You won't perform well," said Levi, putting an arm around your shoulder. He moved forward and you followed suit, almost clinging to him. He noticed this and paused to gaze at you. "What's wrong?"

Unsure of how to say what you wanted, you found yourself shaking your head. "Nothing. I just was thinking."

Levi brought your left hand to his lips, kissing the wedding band around your finger. "You're always thinking," he said. "More introspection?"