Chapter 106

It had been a month since receiving the news. It took this long for the depth of it to finally become embedded in Caroline's mind, she in fact was dieing.

The realization hit her as she sat in a faculty meeting, discussing the upcoming Fall and Spring semesters. She had no idea what her mental let alone physical state would be by then, would she, could she, should she return when school resumed.

Suddenly she could no longer hear what was being said by her coworkers, their faces appeared distorted, her vision was in black and white. Her heart beat faster, her chest felt tight, she couldn't breathe. She tried to stand, she couldn't move, she desperately wanted to run.

Shirley tried several times to get her attention, Caroline just sat there staring ahead, trembling. Mr. Ellis also attempted to gain her attention, then advised everyone to leave the room as he dialed 911.

Tim arrived at the same time as the ambulance. He ran in the entrance, trying to remember where the faculty room was located when Mr. Ellis stepped into the hallway. "Where is she" he asked as Lyndon moved out of the way, pointing in the room.

Seated in the chair, trembling, she sat staring ahead. Tim quickly approached her just as the EMT laid his equipment down and told Tim to step aside. In his deepest voice he told the boy to back off then knelt by Caroline taking her hand gently. The EMT made another approach to get Tim to get out of the way when he stood back up "I told you to back off" he told him, slightly shoving him. The EMT called for the police to respond for an intruding bystander.

Tim positioned himself in front of Caroline, softly calling her name as he lightly touched her hands. She continued to tremble and shake. "It's obvious she needs medical attention" the EMT stated. Shirley told the boy to step back just as Bobby entered the room. Tim looked at him, giving him a look to get them away till he could assure her no one was going to hurt her. Bobby quickly advised the EMS crew to wait in the hallway.

"Caroline, darlin...it's me...Tim" he said softly. "You're ok...I'm here with you...can you look at me" he asked, slowly rubbing the back of her hands.

Caroline could vaguely hear a voice through the distortions and haze. Gradually her vision cleared and there in front of her was Tim. She began to cry hysterically and threw her arms around his neck. "Tim" she sobbed into his neck. "Shhh...I'm right here...." he assured her, holding her tight.

"Tim, does she need the ambulance?" Bobby asked.

"No, I'll take her to be checked by her doctor. Please tell them to leave" he replied, holding her close to him.

Bobby advised the crew they could leave. "Mark it as a good intent call boys" he told them as he ushered them out the door.

Shirley walked over, asking if there were anything she could do. Tim thanked her for calling him then whispered to Caroline they would be leaving. She clung onto Tim as he carried her out the door to the car. Bobby held open the car door while he placed her inside "let me know if you need anything" he told them before they left.

Shirley wiped a tear from her eye as she watched from the entrance while they drove away.

****
It was after eight pm by the time Tim finally brought Caroline home. Dr. Kim had evaluated her and injected a sedative to calm her down. She had finally been able to express what had happened to her in the meeting. Dr. Kim stated it didn't surprise him, her blocking the truth of her diagnosis.  It was a typical response by most terminally ill patients. He advised Tim to watch for other reactions as she progressed through the stages ahead. He scheduled an appointment for her to followup with him on Friday.

****
Carefully he carried her to their bed where he assisted her in changing her clothes. Exhausted she crawled under the sheet, immediately falling asleep. Tim sat next to her, gently stroking her hair, softly humming to soothe her.

Once he felt she was sleeping soundly, Tim made his way back to the kitchen for something to eat. Just as he sat down there was a light knock at the door. Not wanting anyone to disturb Caroline, he quickly answered the door.

"Hey, what are you doing here" Tim asked as Emily walked in.

"Can we talk?" she asked.

"Absolutely, you want something to eat, I just made a sandwich " he offered, closing the door behind her.

"No thanks, I'm not very hungry" she replied.

"What's going on squirt, you seem a little down" he replied.

"If I ask you something, will you promise to be honest with me" she asked as they sat down at the table.

"Always have, except maybe for that time you, oh never mind that was years ago and the kid moved away" he chuckled slightly.

"What?" she asked making a strange face. "Tim, I'm serious. I'm not a kid anymore and I want to know, I need to know the truth" she stated.

He took a large swallow of his beer,  waiting for the question, the one he already knew she was about to ask.

"What do you want to know, Em" he said.

"Caroline, is...is the tumor back" she asked, afraid her suspicions were true.

Tim took a deep breath, "Yes, Em, it is".

"Is it bad..I mean worse than before" she asked.

"Let's go outside on the porch and I'll try to explain. She's sleeping and I don't want to wake her if I can help it" he told her, putting his plate in the sink.

As they stepped out on the porch a car pulled up the driveway.  It was Dena dropping off some of the harvest from her garden.

Tim walked over, grabbing the bushel basket of vegetables from the back of his mom's car. "What's wrong Emily, you look upset" she asked walking to the porch.

"Mom, have a seat, there's something I have to tell you" he said.