Chapter 30

"Can we go back home" she said nervously to Tim as they walked through the front entrance of the exhibit hall. There were at least 200 people milling around enjoying drinks and hor d'oeuvres while they viewed her paintings. Tim smiled, squeezed her hand gently "No" he laughed lightly "take a deep breath, I'll be right here with you, don't worry" he assured her. Caroline nodded and took the deep breath, "here goes nothing" she said as they began to mill around the hall.

A waiter offered them a glass of wine while a waitress approached with a tray of hor d'oeuvres. "I can't believe this many people showed up" Caroline commented as she sipped her wine. "Darlin, they've heard how amazing you are, they had to see it for themselves" Tim replied as he took a glass of wine from the waiter. As Tim put his glass to his lips he noticed someone approaching from the corner of his eye. Caroline's parents. Tim took a deep breath, 'not here, not tonight' he told himself as her father tapped her on the shoulder. 

"There's the guest of honor" he stated loudly as he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek. Caroline looked at Tim wide eyed then turned towards her father "hello Dad" as she gave him a kiss back. Her mom stood behind him, then stepped to the side "hello Tim, it's great to see you again" she said as she kissed him on the cheek. "It's great to see you too. I'm glad you could make it" Tim told her. 

"Of course we'd make it, you think I'd miss my daughters big debut" her father snarked. Tim didn't shake his hand, he held tightly onto Caroline's like he promised he would, "No sir, we'd have been disappointed if you had" he replied.  

"Hmpf,... Caroline show us your work" her Dad stated. "Dad, you and Mom walk around, have something to eat and drink" Caroline suggested. 

"You really should mingle Caroline, it's the only way people are going to get to know the artist. Standing around makes you look indifferent" he stated as he gave Tim a disapproving look. Caroline's mom took her father by the hand "let's get a glass of wine and look at her work" she told them as she pulled him away.

Caroline turned to Tim, he could see the worry in her eyes. "I don't like the way he treats you" she told him. "Don't let him get to you. This is your night, darlin" he told her as he gently kissed her lips. "What would I do without you" she asked him as he took her by the hand. "He is right about one thing" he said as he gave his empty glass to the waiter "you need to mingle. People are going to want to meet the person behind the exhibit, get to know you and what inspired you." Caroline downed the rest of her wine, handed the glass to the waiter and said "ok, let's go".

One of Caroline's professors eyed her from the crowd, he attempted to get her attention with a slight wave as she casually looked his way. "Um, I think your professor wants to speak with you" Tim remarked as he noticed she was trying to ignore him. "Baby, I really don't want to talk to him, or anyone really. I...I don't like being the center of attention like this" she confided. He took the thumb of his hand holding hers and gently rubbed the back of her hand as her professor started to walk over. Caroline wanted to run, she knew what he was going to say. She didn't want to leave Tim's side. He would want her to talk with the collector and boast about her being his discovery. She really wanted no part of it. She enjoyed painting and was content sharing it with others but that was it.

"Caroline, there you are...come with me. The collector I told you about it right over there and is very excited to meet you" he told her as he tried to guide her away from Tim. She held tightly to Tim's hand, "Tim, I really need to steal her away, she won't be gone long" he stated with authority. "Caroline, go ahead. I'll be waiting over on the other side when you're finished" he told her trying to ease her fear with the look in his eyes. She nodded slightly as her professor walked her across the room to the others.

Tim looked for a waiter, grabbed another glass of wine and began walking around the room, always keeping her within sight. She would look for him often throughout the conversation, she needed the reassurance that he was nearby. She kept her hands clasped together, hiding the scar on her hand. She didn't want to have to explain that to anyone, especially her Dad.

Tim had turned to look at one of her pieces when he felt someone tug on his jacket. He turned and looked down, there stood Emily with a big grin "Hey big brother" she chuckled. He leaned down and hugged her tightly just as their mom walked over. "Hey Momma" he greeted as he pulled her in for a tight hug. Dena knew immediately something was up with him. He was always glad to see them, but something about tonight was different. She stepped back and looked into his eyes "Are you ok?" she asked. "Yes ma'am" he replied as he took a sip of his wine. She knew better, she could read him like a book, but she would not press him further tonight, especially here. 

"These paintings are fantastic" Emily exclaimed grinning " and I personally know the artist." Tim laughed at her reaction. "Think she'll autograph the exhibit program for me, ya know, for when she's big and famous I can boast how I knew her back when" she asked him. "Really squirt" he said half sarcastically rolling his eyes. "What, she's like a celebrity" Emily replied. 

Tim was quiet for a moment, 'yeah she is like a celebrity or at least will be if ...' he thought to himself before the voice of his mother brought him out of his thoughts "where is Caroline" she asked. "Oh, she's with one of her professors, he wanted to introduce her to a collector from New York that's interested in her work" he replied as he downed the rest of his wine. "Oh, I see" she replied "well I think Emily and I should walk around a bit more, maybe have a bit of the refreshments."

"Sure, I'm going to stay around this area if you need me" Tim told her as he glanced over at Caroline again. "She'll be fine Timmy, and so will you" his mom told him as she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. 'There really is no hiding anything from this woman', he thought as she walked away. He looked around for the waiter for another glass of wine but decided against that, all he needed was to get intoxicated and make a fool out of himself and spoil her evening. He finally found a waitress who was handing out bottles of water to guests, grabbed one and continued to look around the exhibit. Often he would look her way, checking her body language and expressions to see if he needed to intervene. So far so good, she was handling it well.

As he walked along he came upon one piece of work he had not seen before. It was the one she had difficulty in getting finished while he was away. She had never shown it to him and now he knew why. It was of him, his guitar on his lap, leaning on his hands, deep in thought with a slight smile. It was as if he were looking in a mirror, she had captured his features perfectly and the emotion in his eyes. He could feel tears welling up in his eyes as he felt someone approach him to his right. It was the collector from New York. He stood next to Tim for a moment, examining the painting. 

"That's you, isn't it" he said to Tim never taking his eyes off the painting.

"Yes sir, it is" he responded with a slight crack in his voice as he blinked away the tears.

"She's very talented, you know. To be able to capture such feeling and emotion" he told him.

"Yes sir, she is gifted with a special talent " Tim added as he stared at the painting.

"I'm pleased to hear you recognize that young man. I've expressed to her that I am interested in several of her paintings to hang in my gallery in New York. I would also like to have her  travel there for an exhibit. She will be compensated, of course" he informed Tim.

Tim continued to stare ahead, he couldn't bring himself to look at the man "And have you discussed this with her" he asked.

"Yes, yes I have as well as her professors. She has refused my offer" he answered

"She's a grown woman, she can make her own decisions" Tim replied, trying not to sound too relieved.

" However, I know that you are a man of integrity and will help her come to the right decision. Artists like her come along once in a lifetime" he continued before walking away.

Tim took a deep breath as he heard someone else walk up behind him. Caroline slipped her hand into his, "hey" she whispered. "Hey" he whispered back still staring at the painting. "Are you upset I put this in here" she asked thinking that was why he hadn't said much. "Not at all, it's the greatest thing I've ever seen" he said as he turned to her, taking her into his arms, hugging her tightly. He didn't want her to see the sadness in his eyes, he knew the collector was right, he had to help her make the right decision.