Chapter 9

Tim was watching the clock intently, he wanted to get out before Caroline had to leave for her classes so she could have the car. The last thing he wanted was for her to be walking to the campus. 

The instructor finally finished, giving Tim only about 10 mins to run across campus to where he had to park this morning and get back to the apartment before she would have to leave. As he sprinted across campus, he could see someone standing near the car. It was Caroline. 'Damn it' he said to himself as he approached the parking lot. She stood their smiling and began walking his way.

"Darlin," he panted trying to catch his breath " the last thing I wanted you to do was walk here. It's not safe". 

"I didn't Timothy, I took the bus. There is public transportation that comes by here several times through out the day. Depending on my schedule, you can take the car in the mornings and I will just take the bus for mine" she told him as she gave him a quick kiss.

"No" he began, still slightly out of breath. "Baby, it's really not safe. If anything were to happen to you I could never forgive myself" he replied as he placed his arms around her.

"You worry too much" she laughed " I have to get to class, I will see you when I get home".

"I will be here to pick you up, just text me about 30 minutes before you're ready to leave. Please, Caroline, don't take the bus or walk, I will come and get you" Tim said firmly to her.

"Ok, ok" she blew him a kiss and ran off to class.

As he headed home, he decided to check out a local dealership to find a truck. He would get a used one and pay for it with some of the money he was saving. There was no way he was going to allow her to take public transportation or walk regardless of what she said. 'Where I come from, you take care of your lady, and that's exactly what I'm going to do' he thought to himself.

....

Tim found the perfect used truck. A Toyota Tundra with low mileage, was only 3 yrs old and decently priced. He couldn't help questioning the salesman if there were something wrong with it. It was practically new, "you don't normally find one in this great a condition and this low of a price unless there is a hidden issue" Tim told him. The salesman agreed, "the owner passed away and his wife no longer wanted the truck. She felt it was too big for her to drive, and it also reminded her too much of him. So when she brought it in she just said to be sure it went to a younger fella that would enjoy it and to give him a decent deal" the salesman stated. "They had been customers for years and had donated so much to our local charity fundraisers that we would sponsor, we could not refuse his wishes. So, you just happen to be the lucky fella, that is if you want it" he told Tim. 

"I'll take it" Tim told him. "Great, will that be financed through us or your bank" he asked. "It'll be cash", Tim told him as they walked to the office to complete the paperwork. The salesman seemed surprised that someone as young as Tim would be paying with cash. 

As they finished the paperwork for the title and registration, Tim handed over the money and asked if someone would be able to drive his car to the apartment while he drove the truck. They were more than accommodating with his request and advised him that if he needed anything to call them, night or day. 

'Apparently money does talk,' he thought as he walked back out to his car to grab his laptop and book bag. He checked the time to be sure he had plenty before Caroline would be texting for her ride home. The salesman took Tim's car while the service manager followed with one of the dealerships vehicles. They followed him to his apartment, parked his car out front and again thanked him for doing business with them before they left. Tim backed the truck into the driveway, locked both vehicles before heading inside.