Chapter 103

Having spent nearly the entire day in bed together, Tim finally got up to shower allowing Caroline to rest a bit longer. Chuckling to himself as he turned on the water he remembered the night on the back porch before he left, when she told him only welcome home sex could top that. And, she was right.

Caroline woke to the shower running. Glancing at the clock '5 pm! We spent the whole day in bed?' she thought to herself, but with a smile as she replayed the day in her mind.

She quickly sat up only to have a spinning sensation make her lay back down. 'Not now, please.' she thought just as Tim walked in.

He'd noticed her lay down and he thought she looked a bit pale. "Darlin, are you ok" he asked sitting down beside her.

Caroline nodded, "just sat up too quickly" she replied, trying to sound confident in her statement, rolling to her side.

"Take a moment and I'll help you up" He quickly threw on his boxers and jeans then stood beside her, gently helping her to sit up. Not as dizzy this time, she sat with her feet dangling off the side.

"Baby, when did you eat last" Tim asked, thinking that with all the energy they expelled from their lovemaking was probably the reason.

She knew he'd be upset but she answered anyway " last night. I had a plate of vegetables from your mom's garden" she replied quietly.

Tim looked at her, raising her chin "Darlin, you need to eat and drink. You're most likely dehydrated and your blood sugar is low".

Caroline nodded, she certainly hoped his answer was true rather than the one presently causing fear in her mind.

Tim helped her stand and walked with her to the shower. "You sure you're ok, I can stay with you till you're done".

"I'm fine now. I just got up too quick. I'm sure the shower will help" she assured him.

Tim gave her a quick kiss and told her to call for him if she needed help. She entered the shower and immediately began to feel better, letting out a big sigh of relief.

Tim made a pitcher of sweet tea and searched the refrigerator for something he could prepare for Caroline. Finding only fruits and vegetables he furrowed his brow 'no wonder she felt like that, there's nothing substantial to eat ' he thought as he closed the door.

Caroline had dressed in jeans and a tee shirt, throwing her hair into a messy bun on top of her head. Walking into the kitchen she found Tim waiting with an unpleasant look on his face.

"Baby, what's wrong, you look upset" she stated.

"How long have you been eating just fruits and vegetables " he asked, his arms now crossed.

Caroline raised a brow at him, "what are you talking about. And why are you standing like that?"

Tim opened the refrigerator door, "that's all that's in here. Nothing more substantial. Why haven't you been eating?"

"Before you go all crazy on me, I have been eating. No, there is nothing else in the refrigerator because I haven't bought any groceries while you were gone. I'm usually so exhausted by the end of the day the last thing I want to do is cook, especially for just one person. I either grab take out or your Mom brings something over, just like YOU asked her to" she responded with a bit of attitude. "Since when do I need to explain myself to you?"

Caroline turned to walk away, hurt by his accusation. Tim quickly stepped towards her, gently grabbing her arm "Darlin, stop. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that". He turned her towards him, tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm sorry, please, I just worry about you" he said, pulling her close. Caroline wrapped her arms around his waist as he rested his chin on her head. She was sorry she reacted the way she did, knowing he was truly concerned for her. "I'm sorry too" she replied wiping the tears from her eyes.

****

Returning home after getting a bite to eat at the nearby diner Tim told Caroline he had something he wanted to share with her. He led her to the extra room that his grandmother referred to as the "music room". Nana had spent many hours in this room with Tim and Emily teaching them piano. He sat Caroline down in the high back chair just to the side "I wrote this one night I couldn't sleep, having missed one of your calls.  I hope you like it" he told her.

Ive seen rain on the Mississippi delta
Ive seen the sunrise on Baton Rouge
But of all the things these eyes have seen
Baby, nothing compares to you

I heard some tales from old man in Jackson
'Bout a sacred place in Tennessee
Where music fills the air and love is everywhere
And a boy like me could never leave

And you know me - had to see it for myself
So I hit the road and took your heart along
And those cowboys played those strings in ways Ive never seen
But I only heard your song

Ive seen rain on the Mississippi delta
Ive seen the sunrise in Baton Rouge
But of all the things these eyes have seen
Baby, nothing compares to you

Now night is falling on this crazy little town
And I'm heading out the door
'Cause I know all I need is you right here with me
And I'm not leaving anymore

Ive seen rain on the Mississippi delta
Ive seen the sunrise on Baton Rouge
But of all the things these eyes have seen
Baby, nothing compares to you
No, nothing compares to you
Baby, nothing compares to you

Caroline smiled as Tim finished the song, the song he had written just for her. He turned towards her, noticing tears in her eyes, he gently wiped them away as they rolled down her cheeks.

"That was beautiful, thank you" she told him.

"I mean what I wrote, I'm not leaving anymore" he said as he caressed her cheek.

Caroline looked at him "what?" she asked, a bit confused.

"I'm not traveling anymore. I cant stand to be away from you for so long. It isn't fair that I leave you here, alone, to deal with the house, work, medical appointments. I've been selfish" he explained.

"No, we already discussed this, Tim. We agreed you would pursue your career and I would teach" she reminded him.

"You don't need the added stress, you're health is more important. I can still pursue my career. I'll just be doing it from here" he retorted.

Everything that had been said and done since he returned home made her decision more difficult. If he was out of town he wouldn't have to watch her deteriorate. If he was home, she would just become more of a burden than she already was as the cancer progresses. She still had no idea what she was going to do.