Chapter 59

Caroline stood in the shower, the water as hot as she could stand it,  scrubbing every inch of her body over and over until her skin was red. She needed to get the filth of his touch, the smell of the shed and hospital soap off from her.

Tim knocked on the door "Darlin, can I come in" he asked as she turned off the now cold water. She grabbed the towel before allowing him in. He helped her out of the shower so she wouldn't fall, her vision obscured by the swollen right eye. She stood there staring into the mirror, barely recognizing the image of herself. Tim grabbed her white robe from the wall hook. Slipping it around her as she placed her arms one by one into the sleeves, holding the towel tight around her until she wrapped the robe around herself, finally letting it slip to the floor.

Tim was cautious in trying to touch her. He didn't know what to do. He desperately wanted to hold her close, but the words from Dr. Adams kept replaying in his mind. He stood there, just looking into her eyes, looking for a sign that he could. She sensed his uneasiness, bringing her hand to his cheek "I'm sorry" she told him as he leaned into her hand, gently kissing her palm.

"Darlin" he began as she removed her hand and walked into their bedroom, without a word, closing the door behind her.

****
Marge was silent the entire ride back to her residence. Dena pulled into the driveway, noticing the house was dark. "Is Harrison home" she asked while Marge looked for her keys.

She hesitated a moment before answering "no...he's...he's at the police station..most likely will be all night...along with my brother".

Dena couldn't help but feel sorry for Marge, imaging what she must have to endure from her husband. Based on how he treated Caroline as a possession and how mean he was to Tim, life must have been challenging.

"If you ever need to talk, anytime, anywhere just call me" Dena told her, placing her hand on hers.

"Thank you..but I'm fine..really I am" she replied before exiting the car and quickly walking inside.

Dena watched to be sure she was safely inside her home before leaving.

****
Tim saw the opened laptop on the table with the image of Boden still on the screen. He slammed down the lid before grabbing a beer, heading to the sofa drinking at least half in one swallow. Positioning himself in the corner, one leg up he leaned his elbow onto it as he brushed his hand through his hair. He sat there in the dark, pinching the bridge of his nose, trying desperately to find a way to ease Caroline's pain.

****
Caroline was hurting, her face, her body, her heart. The pain she saw in Tim's eyes hurt the most. She slowly changed into a pair of his pajama bottoms and his tee shirt. She wanted his scent on her, no one elses.

She walked down the hallway, the living room dark with just enough light from the kitchen nightlight shining onto his body. She sat on the edge of the sofa, positioned herself between his legs, lieing her head on his chest. He gradually slid his arms around her as she softly asked, "hold me, please hold me". He stroked her hair and began to hum. The sound in his chest resonated through, calming her until she fell asleep. "We'll get through this, I promise" he whispered.

****
Marge sat on the edge of her bed, crying softly, the image of Caroline's injuries in her mind. How did it get this far. Why didn't she step in before, why did it take this to make her realize the truth, she asked herself as she cried herself to sleep.