Chapter 40

Caroline was finally resting comfortably, Tim sitting nearby rubbing his thumb along her hand. Dr. Kim stood at the doorway and asked if he could speak with him. The two walked down the hall to a private consultation room.

"How are you doing" he asked Tim while motioning for him to take a seat.

"I'm fine, sir" Tim answered.

"I wanted to speak with you, alone, to answer any questions you may have and, to be honest, determine if you're ready to handle what the future holds" the doctor stated.

"My future with Caroline won't change, sir. Whatever it holds, we will handle it, together. She's my life" Tim stated.

"It's not going to be easy, Tim. Decisions need to be made, tough decisions. And with you two not being married, those decisions will be up to her and her immediate family. Does she have family" he asked.

The last thing he wanted was for her father making any more decisions for her, they would not be what she wanted but what he wants. "She's capable of making her own, and I will support whatever she decides" Tim declared.

"As this progresses, Tim...she may not be able to make rational decisions" Dr. Kim advised.

"Are you saying..."he hesitated, he couldn't say what he was thinking.

"What I'm saying is there is a lot at stake. If we remove the tumor there's always the possibility that either she loses all memory and independent function, or at some later date it returns. If she opts for the radiation treatment and chemo, the side effects can be just as debilitating " he advised.

"But, I thought you said it wasn't cancerous" Tim asked with fear.

"So far, there is no evidence it is. Treating it as if it was can shrink it and reduce the chances of it becoming cancer. I want you to understand all the options in order to help her make the right decision" he advised. "I assure you Tim, I will do everything I possibly can to ensure she maintains quality of life for as long as we can".

"Sir, you briefly mentioned something about children earlier, I'm not sure I heard you, my attention was on Caroline at the time" Tim stated.

"Depending on the treatment she chooses, its advised not to become pregnant. Side effects of treatments can cause deformities and miscarriages, her body will be dealing with enough stress. I would like to put her on a contraceptive and advise to continue condom use as well. Unprotected sex is unadvisable" he emphasized "we ran a pregnancy test the first day she came in, it was negative."

Tim thought back to the night before, their intense love making when he returned had not been protected, as so many times before. Dr. Kim noticed he seemed lost in his thoughts "are you alright? I realize this is a lot of information all at once".

"Umm....we ....we had unprotected sex last night" Tim replied as he ran his hands through his hair.

Dr. Kim noted this in her chart "its really to early to tell but I'll run another pregnancy test."

"What if she is pregnant" Tim questioned.

"I would recommend termination. The likelihood of her carrying till full term is highly unlikely and could cause additional complications " he advised.

Tim hung his head, feeling guilty he hadn't been more careful, more responsible.

"Why don't you go home and get some rest. Caroline will be sleeping due to the medications we've administered.  We'll run a couple of tests in the morning, discuss the options I went over with you and she will be released shortly after" the doctor suggested.

"With all due respect sir, I'll be staying the night with her. She's going to be freightened and confused when she wakes " Tim stated as he stood from his chair.

"I understand. I'll have nurse Janzic set you up for the night" the doctor stated as he opened the door to leave.

Tim thanked the doctor, took a deep breath, brushed his hair back and headed back to Caroline's room. On his way there he noticed the hospital directory. He took a quick look, found what he was looking for and headed down the hall.