Chapter 25

"Why did you have to say that to Tim" asked Caroline's mother as they were getting ready for bed.

"What....he needs to know that she has dreams herself and should have every opportunity to fulfill them. It's not all about him" he replied.

"And it's not about you and what you want either. She's a grown woman. She can make her own decisions" she retorted.

"The wrong decisions" he responded.

"You are being such an ass" her mom stated as she walked into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

.....

Tim and Caroline were both lost in their own thoughts as they walked back to his room. Silently, he opened the door, holding it open as she entered. As he secured the lock,  Caroline slipped her arms around his waist, laying her head against his back. Tim took a deep breath as he turned to face her, looking down into her hazel eyes, trying desperately to read her thoughts.

"Before you say it, he's wrong" she told Tim.

"How can you be so sure, you haven't even had a chance to really explore anything. You have been supporting my dreams, not your own" Tim said as he slipped out of her arms, walking towards the window.

"But you are my dream. Our future together is my dream" she replied.

"Caroline, please think about this. You are always encouraging me to get out of my comfort zone, to try new works of music, experience more with other musicians. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have accepted this offer from Jeff. But what have I done for you, for your artistic dream" Tim said as he looked out the window.

"You've loved me" she answered.

Tim turned towards her. "You've protected me, comforted me, accepted me with all my faults. You've set me on the right track when I'm overwhelmed. You've made me  understand what it means to be loved unconditionally. That's all I've ever truly wanted" she continued as tears began to roll down her cheeks.

Tim hated this, he hated letting her father get to him, making him question her, their relationship. He reached out, pulling her towards him, holding her close. "Darlin, I'm sorry" he whispered as he stroked her hair.

"I...wasn't...excited..about the...exhibit or the...collector...I was...excited about...surprising you" she managed to say as she cried into his chest.

He reached down, lifting her chin upward "I was very surprised and grateful that you came all the way out here to see me. Thank you" he whispered against her lips before he wiped her tears.

"I love you with all my heart Timothy. Please know that I mean every word" she stated as he picked her up and carried her to the bed.