Chapter 95

"Now are you sure you can be here by 10 am" Mrs. Ferguson asked the person on the other end of the line "ok, great, see you then" she added as Caroline walked in the faculty breakroom.

Caroline poured herself a cup of coffee and checked out the pastries on the table while Shirley finished her call. Once finished she sat down at the table with Caroline.

"What has you here so early this Monday morning" she asked Caroline as she chose a pastry.

"Such a beautiful day I thought I'd get an early start" she replied before sipping her coffee.

"Could it be that you miss that tall Texan of yours" Shirley winked, taking a bite of her pastry.

Caroline smiled in response, "I thought I'd get started on the next lesson plan, seeing as we have the next few days off for the holiday". Her main goal was to keep her mind occupied until he came home later that evening.

"Oh I remember the days when Lawrence would be traveling for business. It seemed forever for him to return" Shirley stated, " but there was always something good about being apart"

"What was that" Caroline asked, taking another sip of her coffee.

"Return sex, that sex was always amazing. That man could do things to me I didn't think was humanly possible " she stated as she licked her fingers from the sticky pastry.

Caroline nearly spit out her coffee at her comment, slightly embarassed by how frank Shirley was with her comments.

"Oh dear, now stop acting so innocent. You know exactly what I mean, don't you" she winked. Caroline gave a brief grin before she hid behind her coffee mug as Principal Bates walked in.

"Good morning, ladies" he greeted pouring himself a cup of coffee before sitting at the table with them.

"Morning Brad" Shirley greeted "pastry?" she offered, sliding the plate towards him. Caroline simply nodded, sipping her coffee. She always felt uneasy around him, blaming it mostly on what Shirley had told her about Ms. Stewart and her opinion towards any women that merely interacted with him.

"Well, I guess I'll head to my classroom before the students arrive. I have a few things to get done before our days off " Caroline stated as she stood to wash her cup. "Have a good day Mr. Bates, Shirley" she stated as she walked out the doorway.

"Does she know " Brad asked Shirley as he took another pastry from the plate.

"Nope, none the wiser. Everything is set in the auditorium for 11am. We'll mention the assembly at the 8 am announcements and have students brought down at 10:30" she replied.

"Perfect" he responded as he stood and left the breakroom.

****

Caroline finished her lesson plan just as the students arrived for homeroom attendace. She agreed to work Mondays and Wednesdays in the high school while the rest of the week was strictly in the elementary art room.

The morning announcements began as the last students ran in just under the bell. Caroline chuckled a bit, an everyday occurance by some of them, but she didn't feel the need to reprimand over something so trivial.

After the usual notices and lunch menu was read a special announcement was made that all students were to be in the auditorium at 11 am for an assembly with Principal Bates.

Everyone began to whisper in the classroom, trying to figure out what the reason could be. "He never calls an assembly, I wonder what we did wrong now" said one of the students.

"Maybe it's for something good" Caroline responded as the first class bell rang. "I doubt it Ms. Jennings, he never says anything good when he calls assemblies" a few students stated as they headed to class.

Caroline received an alert for an incoming text. It was Tim. "Can't call at moment, running late for some interview,  I'll be home as soon as I can. I love you Darlin" he wrote.

Caroline sighed, she knew there would be times, she just missed him. But, they would have the next few days off together to make up for it. "Ok, I understand. I love you too, please be careful" she wrote back.

****
Sitting in the auditorium with the other teachers and students, Caroline wasn't sure what was going on any more than they did. After preliminary speeches about conduct, discipline and the upcoming days off, the principal finally began his speech for the real reason for the assembly.

Mrs. Ferguson stood at the back of the auditorium as the double door slowly opened. Smiling, she seated them at the back so as not to disturb the assembly.

"I can see by the look on most of your faces that you may still be wondering why you've been called in here today. This past weekend something happened to one of our teachers and several students. Something that has never happened at this school before  and I must say something totally unexpected" he stated.

Caroline became extremely nervous. Her students had acted professionally and had not caused any problems, she hoped her group was not in any trouble.

"Mr. Ellis, if you would please come to the stage" Principal Bates added.

Caroline looked at her students as they all looked around at each other. "Will the following students please come up on the stage" Mr. Ellis stated as he began to call the names of all the students that had participated in the weekend competition. A bit nervous themselves each one walked up, standing to the side of Mr. Ellis. "Ms. Jennings, would you also please come up on stage" he added.

Caroline took a deep breath as she made her way up the steps, still unsure as to what was happening.

"Ms. Jennings, you took these students to the university this weekend to participate in the region wide high school artists competition. After months of arduous preparation and extreme dedication by everyone involved, you and your team captured the top honor of this competition. In addition to being selected the top school artists in the region, five of these students will be selected to represent our school at the state competition next month. Never in the history of this school have we had students take such an interest to compete in this category" he remarked as the students gathered around her.

"On behalf of the faculty and your students who stand beside you, we would like to present you with this plaque in appreciation for your dedication, guidance and perseverance shown in raising the excellence of our school. Congratulations Ms. Jennjngs on a job well done" Mr. Ellis stated as everyone whistled, clapped and cheered for Caroline as he handed her the plaque.

Principal Bates came over, shook her hand then pulled her in for a hug "well done Caroline" he expressed before she could step away from him. Facing towards her students, giving thanks to each of them she felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning, she placed her fingers on her lips as tears began to fall,  "Congratulations, Darlin" Tim stated before scooping her up into a tight hug.