Chapter 69

Bobby and Inv. Gordon headed out to the Jennings home for another try at getting to the bottom of the attack on Caroline. 'Why would either of them visit Boden on separate occasions. What's the connection' Bobby thought to himself as they pulled up the long driveway to their home. Harrison was sitting on the front porch and stood when he saw them driving up.

"Now boys, what are you two doing here again. I already told you not to come back here, we've got nothing more to say about this" he stated stepping of the porch as they exited their car.

"Mr. Jennings, we need to know more about Boden, if you know anything about his past" Inv. Gordon explained.

"I don't know anything about what he may or may not have done in the past. He's accountable for his own actions, I'm not" he firmly replied.

"What about your wife, she is his sister. Is there anything she knows about him that would help our case" Bobby asked.

Laughing Harrison stated " you really think she's is going to help with a witch hunt against her brother?"

Bobby was getting more infuriated by the attitude of this man. "Don't you want to know why he attacked your daughter? Aren't you the least bit concerned that he intended on raping her and most likely, if we hadn't arrived, would have killed her? What kind of father are you" 

"Look, you have no right to come here and start telling me how I should take care of my family. He didn't rape her. Why aren't you going after Foust. He's the one that is always keeping her hidden from everyone, controlling who she sees or speaks to. She's never allowed here. And if we see her in public anywhere, he whisks her off before anyone can speak with her" he barked at them.

'And with an overbearing ass like you for a father, I can understand why she doesn't come here' Bobby thought to himself.

"Mr. Jennings, you were in the Army, correct. Were you stationed away a lot ?" Gordon asked.

"What the hell does that have to do with anything. Yes, I was a colonel in the army. We were stationed all over the world at times. Once Caroline was born, Marge stayed her in the states to raise her, not that any of this is your business" he stated aggressively.

"Is Mrs. Jennings home, so we could ask her a few questions" Gordon asked.

"You don't need to ask her anything . Like I said she has nothing to tell you. Now I think you need to leave, again" he bellowed.

The officers looked at each other, they had noticed that Marge's car was not there. Rather than have a more heated confrontation with Harrison they decided to leave, hoping to find a way to get to her to speak to them.

"Thank you for your time" Gordon said as he motion towards Bobby to leave.

****

Boden sat in his jail cell as the guard came to the doorway. "You have another visitor" he told him as he opened the cell door. "Hey, I'm a popular guy, what can I say" he laughed as the guard  guided him towards the visiting area where a man in a suit stood as he entered. 

"I can't believe you lowered your standards and actually came to see me in jail" he stated to the visitor.

"I can't believe you screwed up a simple task. I was told you were the best to handle taking care of situations. Apparently not, because here you sit" he said sarcastically.

"Not my fault certain little girls don't know enough to stay out of the way" he replied " but then again we go way back, it was only a matter of time before we met up again"

"You're disgusting " he remarked "the whole idea was to get her away from Foust and off to New York, not beat her and rape her"

"For the record you can't rape the willing" Boden chuckled.

Shaking his head, the man stood "we're done here" he said to the guard as he proceeded to leave the visiting area.

"Oh, we're no where near done here" Boden stated before the guard walked over to take him back to his cell.

****

Bobby and Inv. Gordon were on their way back when they needed to stop at the jail to pick up evidence on another case they were working on. As they pulled into the parking lot Bobby noticed the suited man walking out of the visitors entrance for the inmates. Recognizing the person he watched as he walked back to his car. 

"You see that guy over there" he said to Gordon. The investigator turned to see the man just as he opened his car door. "Yeah, who is he?"

Bobby looked at him, "He's a professor at the university. Caroline's professor to be exact. The one who has been emphatic about getting her to New York for the offer she continues to refuse from the collector there"

"How do you know that" Gordon asked, grabbing his keys from the ignition.

"I was at the gallery opening featuring Caroline's work and the announcement by that same professor for the offer made by the collector" Bobby answered.

Gordon looked at him "Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?"

Bobby shook his head, "this just gets more insane by the minute" he replied.