Chapter 86

Bobby had called for Tim and Caroline to meet at noon with himself and Inv. Gordon. Both were a bit apprehensive as they approached the department secretary, advising they had an appointment with Inv. Gordon. Tim held Caroline's hand in his, rubbing the back of it lightly with his thumb, to help keep her calm (Or was he trying to calm himself) as they waited.

Soon Bobby came to the lobby to escort them back to Gordon's office. Offering them something to drink as they sat down, he stated "Steve will be here in a moment then we can bring you up to date on what's been going on". He then sat down at the desk, placing two large files and the journal Marge had provided upon it as Inv. Gordon walked in.

"Good afternoon. Thank you for coming in. We have quite a bit to share with you. First off, if at anytime for any reason you feel the need to step out for a moment or two, please do not hesitate to inform us of that. Please know that the information we have is factual and has been legally obtained. Some, if not all, may come as shock, which is totally understandable and we will answer any and all questions you may have. With that being said, are you ready to begin?" Gordon stated.

Tim and Caroline looked at each other, he could see the fear in her eyes. "Are you ready" he asked her. Caroline took a deep breath "as ready as I can be" she replied.

After several minutes of explaining the information provided by Marge and the journal she kept, Caroline stood and began to walk around the small office. "So, you're telling me that my mother's brother, who turns out is not her real brother, forced her to aid him in commiting these disgusting sex crimes".

"Yes, that is correct" Gordon answered.

"And her reason is because of me?" Caroline questioned. "Because he wanted me as a child and the only way she could stop him was to let him do these disgusting things to her. What I don't understand is why provide contact with all these other innocent children..adults even...how can that possibly be for my sake. This makes me sick" she stated angrily "she's no better than that bastard. They both need to rot in hell" she stated emphatically as Tim stood to comfort her, but she refused to let him and continued to now pace in the room.

Tim looked at Bobby " where is she now. Is she in the jail".

"No, we have her in a safe house at the moment.  She was placed there for her own protection until we could put all the pieces together" Gordon answered. "But now with the other incidents she will be brought back to the jail." he added.

"There's more?" asked Caroline, getting more frustrated.

"Much more " Bobby stated "Caroline, please ..... sit down".

Reluctantly she did, next to Tim. He didn't try to hold her hand, he knew she was angry and the last thing she needed right now was comforting. He sat forward, leaning on his knees as they continued.

"Your mother thought her days of dealing with Boden were over once you moved here. But, when you had your gallery exhibit and were offered the position in New York City, your father began boasting to everyone. That's when Boden found out you were here. He came to visit your  mother, your Dad not knowing anything about their history, told him  how you refused to go and he blamed Tim for all of it, stating he wished he could find a way to get the two of you apart so you would take the offer.

"Did my father ask him to hurt Tim, to try to kill him?" she demanded.

"Not directly. The gallery owner in New York was persistent with your professor to get you to change your mind. He offered the professor a large amount of money to entice you with, he in turn continued to contact your father to try to pursuade you to reconsider. One of the meetings they had, Boden was present and stated he had a way to get what everyone wanted. His actual plan included getting Tim out of the picture and finally having you." Gordon told her.

"This is insane, totally fucking insane. First you tell me my mother becomes a sex slave to save me, but continues to provide him victims in fear he's going to reveal everything to him except for the part of trying to assault me as a child. Then my father, my professor and this disgusting animal collude together to get my fiance killed so that they fulfill their wants based on a large payoff? This can't be real. My own, overprotective father would stoop this low? Would allow me to be beaten, nearly raped, nearly killed ?...I can't....I just can't " she stated, obviously upset and so angered near tears.

"Caroline, please...try to calm down" Tim asked her.

"Calm down? Are not hearing what they are saying Tim? It's crazy...it's all crazy. I don't even know who my parents are anymore " she retorted.

"How did you find all this out" Tim asked "there's no way either Boden or her father would ever admit to anything like this".

Bobby explained how her father came in, was arrested for his conduct and that they had obtained a warrant to search his phone when they saw a call come in from the professor. Once they pieced the links together, her Dad sobered up and he gave a statement.

"So, what happens to them now" Tim asked as Caroline sat with hands around her head, leaning on her knees.

Bobby and Gordon looked at each other. "Her parents will be sentenced for prison terms next week. They both gave up their rights to trial, neither wanted to put Caroline through anymore anquish by having to testify"

Caroline raised her head as Tim asked "what about that son of a bitch Boden.  Don't tell me he gets off easy with a plea bargain"

Gordon looked at Bobby, motioning for him to tell them the rest. Bobby looked at Tim then Caroline. They exchanged looks as well, then Bobby stated "Caroline, you will never need to worry about him again nor will any of his victims "

"Why because he's getting life in prison" she said sarcastically.

"No, because he's dead" Bobby replied.

"What?" they replied in unison.

Bobby explained what Topher had done and why. He also stated that, unfortunately he would be the one sentenced to life in prison.

****

The ride back to Dena's was quiet. Caroline said nothing, staring out the window the entire time. Tim felt her pain and disbelief. In essence she had been betrayed by not one but both of her parents. Tim parked the car in the driveway and shut off the engine.  They sat there in total silence for about 10 minutes before Tim turned towards her, placing his hand on her shoulder. She looked at him, the look in her eyes....disgust..fear..anger..it was all there.

" I ....need some time....alone...please" she told him.

"I understand" he replied, brushing a lock of her hair to the side.

"I'd like to take the car...." she told him.

"Okay..." he replied with apprehension as he got out of the car and she slid over to the drivers seat.

"Darlin, please..please be careful" he said as he gently stroked the side of her face before kissing her gently on the lips.

"I love you" she said, starting the car. "I love you too " Tim stated before he stepped back and watched her drive away.