Chapter 1

"I can't believe in just a few short months we will be graduating high school and heading off to college together" she told him as they walked along the wooded path.

Six years ago Caroline came into his life. He was just a lonely boy in junior high, writing poetry and music, hoping for the day that he could just get away from all the bullying and live his dream. Then, she came along. Her dad, an Army Captain, had retired and moved back to Texas. Rather than going back into Houston where he grew up, he decided on a smaller community in Nederland.

He remembers that day vividly, the first time he laid eyes on her. Long brown hair with hazel eyes that seemed to change with the light. Seemed like every jock in the school had their eye on her, hoping to snatch her up. He immediately fell in love when she walked into first period home room. But, never in his wildest dreams did he ever think he would be with her now.

Many of the girls were jealous of her, mainly for her looks and the boys reactions. She didn't act like most girls in his school did, she didn't gravitate to the popular kids. She was shy, soft spoken, wasn't one to crave the center of attention. She did her own thing, had her own interests, and as time went on he found many were just like his.

"Do you remember the first day you came into seventh grade home room. I looked at you thinking 'Oh my, she's beautiful', you walked by and looked me in the eye with a slight smile. I couldn't believe you were looking at me. The tall, geeky looking kid with the glasses and overbite," he chuckled.

She laughed " I thought you were handsome, just as I do now" as she kissed him on the cheek.

He turned to her and took her into his arms, slowly kissing her lips. "I fell in love with you the minute you walked in the door but truly never thought you would ever have any interest in me" he told her.

She smiled, looking him in the eye "it didn't take long for me to fall in love with you. You were the only one to truly accept me for who I was. You didn't expect more from me, you didn't want to be with me to be popular. You were genuine and still are".

"I love you Caroline" he told her.

"And I love you, Timothy" she replied before kissing him passionately.

...

If only life could be that simple again, first love without the pain and suffering they had endured. He couldn't tell anyone right now as to why he always spent as little time as possible back home during the bands breaks, just one of the many reasons why he eventually moved to Tennessee. One of the main reasons why he found himself so close with Chance was due to his life with Caroline. One day he will tell him but for now he had to concentrate on helping his friend.