Chapter 25: Tamara

Start from the beginning

No. No. No. I can't leave Edwardo all by himself.

However, my chances skyrocketed up to the sky, exploding into tiny pieces. The lights above went out, surrounding me, Edwardo, and everyone else in apprehensive darkness. Everyone knew that monsters were lurking among us, but these monsters weren't hairy with razor-sharp teeth or claws, they were humans.

My hearing perked up to the left of me as I heard receding footsteps. The noisy and scurrying steps squeaked from the wooden floors. Then a blinding, white light flipped on, acknowledging my entire presence as it made a circle around me and no one else.

No one else.

I turned my head to see my partner behind the stage, shaking uncontrollably hard, mouthing the words 'I'm sorry' to me.

I shook my head, sending a pleading stare with slightly pouting lips. 'Please, don't do this,' I communicated with my facial expressions.

'You'll do fine,' he mouthed again, relishing in his comfort zone as he backed up into the shadows, leaving me with my heart somersaulting to the lower part of my upset stomach.

My jaw hung to the floor and my ballon round eyes could not be dismiss, anyone could see my dumbfounded expression by my partner's absence.

Duh-duhn, DUH-DUHN...

Oh, sweet Jesus.

I shakily picked up the mic, raising it near my mouth as I licked my drying lips.

I can do this.

The abnormally hot auditorium gradually filled with the familiar background tunes of "Keep Your Head Up". I diverted my eyes from the people before me, nervously looking down.

...1
     ...2
           ...3

"I've been waiting on the sunset
Bills on my mindset..."

I sang lightly, my voice smooth while I hid away the shakes that held authority over my body, but not my vocals. The murmurs of the crowd ceased, leaving my soft voice to be heard by every single student.

"This is just a journey
Drop your worries
You are gonna turn out fine.
Oh, you turn out fine.
Fine, oh, you turn out fine."

A smile began to curl up my lips, providing me the courage to meet eyes with the audience. My voice dropped a level down, becoming almost like a whisper as I was met with stares that were intended to slice me in half, making me feel twice as small, smaller than standing next to a skyscraper. My voice was snatched, wrapped around a thick rope, and tugged out my mouth, leaving me lost for words.

The chorus was seconds away, but no words were strong enough to be heard. I was slipping up, for the first time in singing, I was losing concentration, too focused on my surroundings rather than how I sounded.

I'm going down, explosions and engulfing in flames down.

Strangely enough, a voice was to be heard, one that was graceful and calm, fierceness that alerted people she was not a tad fearful or intimidated.

"But you gotta keep your head up, oh,
And you can let your hair down, eh."

Cool fingers gently touched the bottom of my chin, lifting it up for me to view the crowd. However, the only thing controlling me now was the urge to look at the girl who rescued me.