1.2 | Invite

// invite | part 02 //

The storm continued into the afternoon. Our neighborhood street flooded. It was as if a stream coursed outside our house.

    "Bell, honey," Mom said, preparing dinner three hours early with Anna as sous-chef, "have you told everyone that we're postponing the party?"

    My lips jutted into a pout. "No. I was hoping the storm would stop or at least slow down by this afternoon."

    "Well, you should probably tell them now before they attempt the drive here."

    With a heavy sigh, I left the kitchen and entered the dining room. I pulled out my phone and selected our group text. Before I could finish typing, "hey," the rain ceased. A deafening silence followed.

    I ran back into the kitchen, heart in my throat.

    Mom peered out the window. The clouds were already fleeing the sky, leaving blue in their wake and letting the sunlight touch the ground.

    "Oh. Did I — did I speak too soon?" She glanced between me and my sister. A smile played on her mouth. "I think the storm stopped."

    I squealed. "It's a miracle! Do we have to postpone the party still?"

    "Well, the roads are still flooded. Let's keep an eye on them. If they're okay by dinnertime, then we can invite everyone over then.

    "But Belline?"

    "Hmm?"

    "I want to talk about that invite you got when the party's over."

    My eyebrows furrowed. "Invite? What invite?"

    She placed a hand on her hip. "The one to Eslyr's Dance Camp."

    Now my eyes widened. "What? How'd you know about that?"

    "It was in the pile of mail on the counter this morning."

    "But I — how? I put it in my room."

    She turned to the stovetop. "I think it's a great idea. But we'll talk about it later, okay?"

    I rushed upstairs. The invite still sat in my repurpose pile. Had the postal service delivered two? But — Mom hadn't gotten the mail today, had she?

    I shook my head. I could worry about it later. I had a party to wait for.

    It was like the sun was making up for lost time: within an hour, the water had evaporated into puddles and overrunning gutters. But the roads were no longer flooded, and I could invite my friends over.

    As soon as I opened the door, it was a frenzy of, "Happy birthday, Bell!" and hugs and talking over one another. They placed their presents on the dining room table and we stole away to the family room.

    "I was afraid the storm would cancel our plans," Eve said, slinging her arm about my shoulder.

    "That storm was nasty," Donovan added, scooping up a handful of pretzels.

    Mari skipped up to us and grabbed my hands. She smiled up at me. "Well, it's over. And now it's time to celebrate! Let's dance!"

    So the four of us, including Anna for a total of five, danced to Mari's party playlist. We flailed and spun and even fell the floor in laughter. Don placed his hands on my hips and danced with me — until Mari hopped between us and Evette trapped him in a headlock a few seconds later.

The Deadly TrialsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara