34.2 | A Wish on a Flower

// a wish on a flower | part 02 //

I caught Annalyse's eye, and she gave a tiny nod. I swallowed, set my spoon in my empty cereal bowl, and said, "Mom, I'm not going to college."

    She dropped the cup she had been washing, splashing water. She whipped around, hands dripping. "What was that?"

    "I already talked to Dad about it, and he said it's okay." I played with the sleeves of my thin cotton sweater. "That I don't go to college."

    "Why aren't you going?" She put her hands on her hips and scowled.

    "I've never wanted to, Mom. It's always been what you've wanted for me, not what I want for myself."

    "Of course it's what I want for you!" She shook her head. "Getting a college degree is necessary in today's day and age. And someday, not even a bachelor's degree will be enough. You'll get better offers and opportunities with a degree under your belt."

    I bit back a smile. She had no idea of the opportunities waiting for me in Eternity.

    "I have opportunities, Mom."

    "Yeah? Like what? Dancing?"

    "They're amazing opportunities."

    "No." She turned to the sink again.

    "What?"

    "You're going to college and that's final." She picked up the cup to rewash it. "I'm not going to let you throw your life away because you don't want to leave home."

    Annalyse removed her spoon from her mouth and added, "But she's going to leave Oregon, Mom."

    When Mom rounded on her, eyebrows furrowed, my sister quickly shoved the spoon back in her mouth and shrunk in her seat. Mom turned to me, glaring. "So you're not going to college, but you're leaving anyway?"

    I also slid down in my seat. My voice shook as I said, "Yes. There's — there's a political activism position available out of town. And, well, actually, this guy I met at camp lives there too."

    When she dropped the plastic cup this time, it hit the floor, bouncing and clattering. Her nostrils flared and her eyes became hard as ice. "Absolutely not, young lady. There is no way I'm letting you throw away your future and your life for some boy you met at camp. Your education is far more important than some summer fling. I thought I'd raised you better than that."

She rose to her full height, nose tilted up. "You're going to college, and that's final."

    Before she could return to the dishes as if nothing happened, I stood up. "Mom, this is my life. I can make my own decisions, especially about how to live it. And I know this is disappointing and you're just worried about me. But I'll be okay. And — I'm not going to college. That's final."

    We glowered at each other until I huffed and stomped from the kitchen. Mom followed, but Dad appeared at the bottom of the stairs, smiling. He caught Mom by the elbow and said, "Krysta, let's talk in private."

    He guided her upstairs, and once I heard a door click, I bounded to my room and started to pack for Eternity.