28.2 | Then So Shall It Be

// then so shall it be | part 02 //

And now I felt broken too. Prince Rune had witnessed his mother lose herself to insanity, and then destroy his home because of it. The hope for reprieve from the despair in his life, also vanished — again and again and again. It was no wonder he clothed himself in sadness. He just wanted to be rescued, and no one had answered his call.

    "What — what was she like? Before?" I found it difficult to maintain eye contact.

    He shrugged a shoulder. "Like any other mother, I would imagine. I have nothing to compare her against. She — she would sing lullabies and laugh. But, as the blooms went on, the less involved she became. And I was so focused on my studies, I didn't realize the distance between us until — until she was — she was gone."

His eyes seemed to reflect the distance of which he spoke. He blinked hard, and I saw his chin twitch. I looked away.

Tone gentle, careful, unsure, I said, "Um, my mom? She's — she's — she tries." I released a lifeless chuckle.  "To be perfectly frank, she's not my favorite person. And I'm not her favorite either. We argue, a lot. We don't see eye-to-eye on pretty much everything. It's always been like that.

    "I think it's because I'm the first child. She babies my sister. Openly favors her even. Not that I blame her. My sister's pretty amazing."

    Prince Rune's eyes started to return to their original dance of shadows. His expression was soft, grateful. "You have a sister."

    I smiled. "Yeah. We actually get along pretty well. Always have. We have a lot in common. We're both dedicated dancers. She dances hip-hop mostly, some contemporary stuff too. And — well, I've always thought she's the better of us Paris sisters."

    I cleared my throat to rid the lump that had gathered there.

    "Perhaps it is biased of me, but I have difficulty imagining someone better than you." A smile played at the edges of the Prince's mouth.

    Shaking my head, I chuckled and gave him a playful shove. "That's definitely biased. You've never even met her."

    "No, I have not."

    To keep the conversation away from memories of his mother, I said quickly, "My dad's awesome though. He's like my best friend. He's this crazy-smart, scatterbrained theoretical physicist. He's always lost in his work, standing at his whiteboards covered in equations or reading papers. He used to teach high school, but he got a grant so now he just sits in his office, working all day long.

    "But, despite all that, I can go in whenever. And he'll drop everything just to listen. It's like his research doesn't even exist. It's just me and him. And — it means everything to me."

    My throat clogged as pressure built behind my eyes. A tear dripped down my cheek and I swiped hastily at it, hoping Prince Rune hadn't noticed.

    "He sounds like a wonderful father."

    I nodded.

    His hand touched my arm, a comforting gesture like I had for him. I cast him a wavering smile. His lips were pressed together, concern shimmering in his eyes.

    I plowed on anyway: gates that had been opened and I refused to close them. Talking about them made them feel alive, closer than they really were. "They're not blood-related, but they're like family to me. Donovan, Mari, and Evette. The three people I'm most thankful for.

    "Donovan's my childhood friend. He's just a sweetie. He loves taking care of people. I think that's why he's a lifeguard: it's all about watching over others and taking care of them. And he's just — such a nice guy."