24 | Reciprocation | rune

\\ reciprocation \\

He lingered in the courtyard long after the flowers had turned to dust.

    The maiden had already left, telling him to enjoy the yllumin. And he stared at them, unblinking until his eyes watered.

    It had been many blooms since he had felt this way. Little could move Prince Rune, and flowers especially not. Yet the Earth maiden had moved him with one of the smallest species of flower Eternity had to offer.

    He could have sworn the maiden didn't care for him. She had avoided him until only recently and he didn't blame her. It was his fault that she had been taken from her home, forced to partake in a foreign tradition that nearly stole her life as well, and now trapped her in that very place. He wouldn't have blamed her if she'd tried to disappear, to flee.

    He didn't want to look at himself either.

    And yet, despite everything despite every reason she had to despise him she showed him immense kindness. She tried to recreate a tradition that was not her own for his sake.

    Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted a bag in the shadow of a flower stem. He picked it up and peered in at the glittering seeds. A small smile took residence on his face, as he rolled a pinch of the yllumin between his fingers.

    Prince Rune sinched the bag shut and headed into the castle. He followed the corridors until he arrived at the door of the Earth maiden's guest room. For a cursory second, he considered knocking. But he just shook his head and hung the bag over the handle before he turned back.

    He found himself back at the balcony. He gripped the banister and closed his eyes. The yllumin glowed behind his eyelids. He smiled to himself.

    The Prince had never given much thought to the fact that he hadn't attended any balls or galas. He had spent his time learning, studying, preparing to inherit the throne. Celebrations seemed the least of his concerns. But now he could give the maiden luminescent doorways and dazzling garb and the chance to see to celebrate the beauty of Eternity.

    In the distance, the herd of tsulin grazed. Their metallic coats caught glints of light, like beacons calling to the lost. Lips pressed together, Prince Rune descended the stairs and walked toward the tsulin.

    Arranging a party would take too long. With the Competition now won, he couldn't devote himself to everything required of a festivity. But he also couldn't let her act of kindness go without reciprocity.

    "Ryzel," the Prince greeted, hand reaching out.

    The tsulin snorted, tail whipping.

    Prince Rune gave a small smile. "I have been neglecting you. My apologies." He dipped into a bow.

    Ryzel released a scratchy bleat and nudged the Prince.

    "Thank you."

    The herd about them kept to themselves. They grazed, standing apart from Prince Rune and Ryzel. A couple tsulin watched, nostrils flaring and tails swinging.

    Ryzel sniffed about the Prince's coat pockets, and Prince Rune shook his head. He fed the tsulin the snacks he'd kept in his coat. While the tsulin ate, Prince Rune dragged a finger along the ridges of Ryzel's neck.

    "I have been shown a great kindness, Ryzel. I want to repay it but I'm not sure how. I don't know what what she would like. If she would like anything."

    Ryzel's eyes bored into him and his ears flicked.

    Ignoring the heat in his ears, the Prince said, "Perhaps I could show her something. She showed me the yllumin beyond the Great Bloom. There must be something I can show her."

    Ryzel's ears jerked again.

    "What would an Earth maiden want to see? What could I possibly show her?"

    Ryzel stomped at the ground and blew out an impatient breath.

    The Prince scratched him between the eyes. "There's little she knows about Eternity. Perhaps I can take her some place she has yet to see."

    Ryzel bumped into Prince Rune and swung his head, as though to point.

    Prince Rune studied the fields beyond them to the forests and mountains along the horizon. His eyes widened, then narrowed. "Would she even like it there?"

    Ryzel snorted and turned, trotting away from the Prince. He rejoined the herd.

    He frowned at the tsulin. "I suppose you can't be bothered with such trivialities."

    Ryzel let out a vibrato bray. Prince Rune chuckled, shook his head, and left the herd.

    In the smallest library, Prince Rune settled in a chair. His eyes roamed the ceiling.

    If he took the maiden to the meadow, would she enjoy it? Would she even agree to join him? She had avoided him until recently. They knew very little about each other. He would not blame her if she refused his offer.

    And a part of him still waited for her to disappear. He wouldn't blame her for that either.

.

Prince Rune paced in the hallway. The maiden's guest room door was right there. All he had to do was step in front of it and knock.

    But he couldn't. So instead he patrolled the corridor before her room.

    "Anxious about something, Your Highness?"

    He pivoted. At first glance, he thought his mother stood across from him. But the streaks of silver in her hair and wrinkled eyes transformed her into Mevalin.

    "Ah. I I was"

    She chuckled, a knowing gleam in her gaze. "Perchance you are visiting the victor of the Bride Competition?"

    His ears burned.

   Aunt  Mevalin smiled. "Knock. Otherwise, you will never know." She bowed and vanished down the hall.

    He stared at the maiden's door. He recalled the yllumin she had learned of it for his sake. He had to repay such kindness. So he sucked in a breath, rolled his shoulders back, and marched forward.

    His heart thundered in his chest, in his ears. He swallowed. He lifted a hand and rapped on the door. He held his breath, waiting for the maiden.

    Then, the door swung open, and there she stood. Hair falling in gentle waves about her shoulders, blue eyes widening. "Prince Rune," she exclaimed, and he thought his heart had tried to leap into his throat. "Can I help you?"

    He shook his head. "I wanted " he coughed. "Would you like to accompany me to Sirene?"

    And now, his heart stopped beating entirely.