11 | Rewards

// rewards //

Entirely consumed by the fire, I realized too late that I hadn't thought this through. Inside the flames, it was impossible to see. For one, they had a dizzying effect and I was growing lightheaded from it. And for two, the searing heat brought a sting to my eyes, causing them to water. Now everything around me was a blurry mass of dancing orange, red, and yellow.

I stumbled to the ground, shutting my eyes. I wiped my clothes on my face, hoping to dash the tears. But as soon as I opened them, my eyes just started to water again.

My gaze tried to focus and readjust to the brightness, but it was too harsh. I squinted, glancing at the torched ground for a reprieve from the fire.

My lips pursed. Getting lost here was as easy as in the maze. The dizzying dance of the flame churned my stomach. What if I had gotten turned around?

"That flame is well-behaved."

Kit's words continued to jostle around in my brain, offering possibilities of what these flames could do. I knew they wouldn't extinguish, even if I asked politely. But what if?

I stuck my hand in the fire, watching through narrowed, watering eyes as it tickled my skin. Being able to touch fire without being burned was further proof that Eternity was magic.

I squinted up at the edge of the flames. They waved in ribbons of white, purple, and blue. And I knew beyond that, the sky was gold and silver, the perfect marriage of sun and moon.

Even surrounded by fire, Eternity was beautiful.

"Am I heading the right way?" I asked the fire wall.

No response.

Sighing, I pushed loose strands of hair away from my face. I had figured it was a long shot, but a part of me still hoped that the flames were as kind as Kit.

My feet propelled forward at a steady jog. I didn't want to run — I was too thirsty, too sore.

Then, a miracle happened. The flames stopped dancing in that dizzying way — they moved in the same direction, as though pointing me out of the field.

A giggle built in my chest. "Kit, I love you!"

With a burst of energy, I sprinted to the right, following the path of the fire. I wasn't sure if I had just helped everyone else in the blazing field find their way, but I didn't care. Too elated to slow, my feet dug into the parched soil with each step.

I spread my arms out and let my head fall back, eyes closing. For the first time since the start of the Bride Competition, I felt at ease. There was no imminent danger, no fear of getting lost for once. Fingers splayed, I felt the tingle of the flames on my palm and between my fingers. The warmth along my skin was almost like a blanket. I smiled.

My eyes opened and I stared up at the flames that tried to touch the sky.

If this fire were stamped out, I wondered, what would grow here? Would one of those mushroom cap trees take root? Would a garden of black roses bloom instead? Or was the ground too scorched to ever be fertile again, and this would always remain a black tarnish against the magnificent scenery of Eternity?

Then it occurred to me: if none of us won this competition, those coals and these flames would just continue to burn, continue to test the maidens who dared to cross into their folds.

The Prince flashed into my mind again.

I frowned.

Movement to my right pulled my thoughts back to the present. Through the wisps of orange, I could just make out a female form. Relief rumbled in my stomach, happy to see another girl here despite the circumstances.