7 | Melting Sugar

// melting sugar //

"All this for a goddamn mysterious 'precious item'," I grunted in irritation as I trekked through the forest.

    Despite the bright day, the forest was dark. The thick canopy blocked any light, aside from the few beams that managed to break through. Because I could barely see in front of me, I kept tripping. My pants ripped and my knees bled. And I was lost. I couldn't see the lake from inside the forest, so I had no idea if I were headed in the right direction.

    I glared up at the trees. Why did the royal family subject us to this? Why did the royal family even hold a bride competition? Couldn't they date like everyone else?

    Groaning, I kicked a nearby tree. It had a measly trunk, skinny and tall. It reminded me of the Prince — so I delivered another hard kick to it, watching the branches and leaves quiver.

    It was instant regret.

    Two by two, orange lights glowed above me. They were small, only slightly larger than a bird. As they neared, I noticed that their wings resembled a bat's.

    I backed up, trying to slink away from them. But it was too late.

    Claws scratched my skin, and I screamed. I smacked at the ones that came near me. But it didn't stop the onslaught.

    Pivoting, I ran. I continued to scream, wondering if maybe someone would hear it and come to my aid.

    I bent to pick up a fallen branch. I swung it at the flying pests. I hit a couple of them hard enough to send them hurtling into a nearby tree. But they still came in a swarm of cackling laughter and beating wings.

    One grabbed my hair and yanked backward, tearing another scream from my throat. It slowed me down, allowing them to catch up. My swings became panicked and aimless.

    A creature flew in front of me and turned around. I stopped and studied every detail of the little demon: a fur covered body, aside from the wings; long claws on both its hands and feet; and finally a pair of bloodied fangs protruding from its tiny mouth.

    It growled and flew toward me, lips parted to bite. With a shriek, I closed my eyes and took a blind swing. And when I opened my eyes, it was no longer ahead of me.

    Sucking in a relieved breath, I faced the swarm closing in on me, branch at the ready. But before I could attack one, it squealed and was pinned to a tree, an arrow through its wing.

    Eyes wide, I watched as a large net forced the swarm to drop to the ground. My stick fell to my side, a grateful exhale escaping my lips.

    Movement to my left brought another dump of adrenaline, and I held the stick up in defense. But the creature paused in the branches above me and said, "If you wanna be a hunter, you're gonna need ta upgrade your equipment." 

    It jumped down from the tree, into a beam of light — and I nearly screamed again. A crocodile stood on two legs before me, wearing khaki shorts, a dirty polo shirt that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it was bought, and a sling bag draped diagonally across its scaly chest. It had shoulder holsters and belt holsters, each with a different kind of gun. It held a large gun in one hand — which I assumed had shot out the net.

    "What - what are you?" I stammered, too shocked and scared to move.

    "Huh" was all it said as its yellow eyes scanned me up and down. "You're an earthling. Aren't 'cha, bean sprout?" 

    I nodded once, holding my branch close. It didn't seem like it was going to harm me, but being stared at by a crocodile was disarming.

    Its eyes narrowed. "Now what in the name of Kahla is an Earth maiden doin' here?" Then it snapped its fingers. "Ah, the competition. But what are you doin' in the forest?"