8.1 | Lava

// lava | part 01 //

If Jack could exhale steam, he would have.

    My eyes widened and I peered into the depths of the forest. I couldn't see much, but I thought I could make out a heavy, immobile mass between the trees. "Blocked off?"

    "Yeah. Blocked off, bean sprout. I tried climbin', I tried both directions. The entire forest's blockaded. Do not enter." Jack paced, his tail whipping back and forth.

    My nostrils flared. The only instructions for this round were to retrieve the precious item and return to the castle. But now I couldn't get back to the castle at all.

    "While it sounds elementary, it is not." The Prince's words echoed in my mind, and hearing his voice caused my teeth to grind. The replay sounded like a mockery, like a sneer.

    "Why?" I growled through my clenched teeth, scowling at Jack. "Why is the forest blocked off?"

    He glared back. "Don't get pissy at me, kid. This ain't my fault." He gestured behind him at the forest. "My livelihood's in there. You really think I'd be okay with somethin' like this?"

    His words pushed through the frustrated fog in my mind and snapped me back. When I realized I had no right to lash out at Jack, I deflated with a slow exhale, my fists relaxing. I crossed my arms over my chest.

    "Wanna know what I think? I think those royal asshats decided things were too easy so they closed off the forest."

    Voice quiet, I asked, "What about the other girls? What if they're trapped in there?"

    Jack shrugged a shoulder. "I don't really care. I thought I saw a group of 'em gatherin' back at the beach."

    I turned, and in the distance, I could make out human-shaped figures milling about the edge of the lake. Cursory relief sunk my shoulders.

    With a grunt, Jack headed to the left. "Well, c'mon, kid. My guess is they're herdin' you to Mount Volum. So let's get goin'."

    I strode beside him. "You're coming with me?"

    "The forest's still inaccessible. But I ain't followin' you the whole way. I refuse to get dragged into this tsulin shit."

    As we marched on, my thoughts bounced between the competition and home. Memories of the people I'd been taken away from squeezed my lungs in ways I didn't like. Thinking about the trials — the maze, the lake, and now the mount — only contorted my innards more.

    My emotions tangled into confusion: anger at the injustice of being torn from Earth, hopeless at the finality of Eternity, awe at the untouchable beauty around me, an almost grotesque longing to stay and explore.

    My face grew hot with unshed tears. My voice was soft and broken as I bemoaned, "Why does it have to be this way? Why is it so cruel? Why do these Olympian death traps exist at all?"

    Jack peered sidelong at me. "Are you bein' rhetorical or serious?"

    I swallowed the lump of emotions stuck in my throat. "Both, I guess."

    The crocodile looked up at the sky, one of his clawed fingers tucked into the belt of the holster about his waist. "I didn't care for the history lessons shoved at me when I was a hatchlin'. But from what I can remember, the heir needs to take a spouse before they can 'sume the throne."

    My brows furrowed. "But why?"

    He released a quick sigh. "I dunno. Something about two heads bein' better than one."