23.2 | Fairy Light Festivals

// fairy light festivals | part 02 //

My leotards and tutus hung by the armoire. They begged to be worn. I would stroke the muslin, the tulle, the tarlatan and remember the dance studio back home.

My body ached to dance again. To stretch, to assume position — to hear music again. Despite the wonders of Eternity, it lacked music. And I missed it. Did Eternity have music outside the rustle of plantlife and the call of wild creatures?

I readjusted my collection of ballet slippers on the empty shelving. I hummed Panic! at the Disco songs to myself. I glanced at my cell phone, trying to will it to power on so I could listen to music; see old photos of Mari, Evette, Don, and Annalyse; check the political climate of Earth. But technology didn't work here.

Maybe there was a way to get it functioning. Some kind of intergalactic wiring so I could FaceTime my sister — long-distance call between Earth and Eternity.

Still humming, I lifted to my toes, arms outstretched. I practiced the positions, pretending Michelle watched me, ready to bark corrections.

I was procrastinating.

I was armed with my plan of action: I would explore Eternity and all the planet had to offer, I would get to know the Prince, I would eventually solve the mysteries surrounding the Eslyr family.

Instead, I spent my free time wandering the castle, memorizing the labyrinthian halls so I didn't always require a guide everywhere I went — avoiding the Prince.

Eika would fetch me for mealtimes. Often, I would eat alone. But sometimes, King Hadeth and the Prince would join me. The King, as usual, would chatter ceaselessly. And each time I looked at Prince Rune and the flames in his eyes, I would freeze. Did he have feelings for me, like I suspected? I would focus on my food and speak not a single word the entire time. I acted as though he didn't sit directly across from me as we ate.

Otherwise, I procrastinated putting my plan into action. A part of me latched onto my homesickness, like it became a part of my identity. Another part of me feared that I would grow to love Eternity — and in turn, I would forget home.

Flatfooted once again, I huffed, pushed my hair out of my face, and marched out the door. I was done. Done hiding. Done running.

And so, I sought out the Prince.

The Prince turned out to be an elusive character. During the trials, it felt like I could bump into him at any given moment. When I rested in the infirmary, he existed as a constant in my periphery. But when I tried to find him on purpose, he vanished.

I wandered to the back balcony. Folding my arms atop the banister, I stared out at the endless miles of green. The castle gardens housed constant movement: flowers grew and shrunk, petals snapped open and closed, tree trunks leaned, vines whipped and slithered.

My mind painted a picture of a past Eternity. Galas hosted on this very balcony, the castle lit up with glowing plants and laugher and music. Was it possible to return to that? Was it naïve to try?

"Lost in reverie?" a deep voice asked.

I yelped, hand at my chest. The Prince stood below the balcony, before the garden. He tilted his head, smirking as though amused.