12.2 | Splash

// splash | part 02 //

A knock sounded at the door. My eyes flashed open — from the glowing image of a flower to my left, I was still in Eternity. I huffed and forced myself to get up. My muscles were tight.

When I opened the door, Eika the chameleon stood there. Both her eyes focused on me and she sent me her motherly smile.

"Eika!"

    "Hello, maiden." She looped my arm through hers and led me down the hall. "When I had heard number twelve had come in first at the third trial, I knew I had to visit."

    My eyes searched hers imploringly. "Not even you can say my name?"

    A slight frown tipped her lips. "I fear not, sweet maiden. I would hate for your elimination to come about because of our familiarity. So I will not use your name."

    "Where are we going?" This castle was too much like a maze.

    "As a reward for coming in first, you are welcomed to a meal." She smiled at me.

    We stepped down the stairs to the second level. The chandeliers here were more exquisite than those on the upper floors. However, the designs remained the same: black and white, flowers and geometric shapes.

    "The castle really is beautiful." My eyes followed the curves of the vaulted ceiling. My gaze landed on Eika.

    Her expression saddened. "It is. And the royal families have been so benevolent to allow us to live in their home."

    We fell into silence as we made our way down a wide hallway with elaborate candle sconces along the walls.

    My mind thought back to Jack and my questions about the Bride Competition. I chewed the inside of my cheek and plunged. "Um, do you know why the competition has become so cruel? I mean, how dangerous it is seems . . . pointless, you know?"

    The chameleon-noid let out a quiet sigh while her eyes glanced in opposite directions. "The Bride Competition started out as a pageant of sorts. Eligible and interested citizens of Eternity would wear their finest and perform tricks and talents before the royal family, as well as a table of judges. The participants would be quizzed on their knowledge of policy and history, and they would be awarded points for their performances. The one with the greatest points was considered the fittest to rule Eternity alongside the royal family."

    Lips pursing, I asked, "So, what happened?"

    Eika folded her hands across her stomach, solemn. "Because of growing dissent, Eternity overall grew . . . darker. Things felt more dangerous."

    I recalled Jack's similar words and peered out the window at the glowing sky, a contradiction to the darkening hearts of Eternity.

    "And so, to better ensure the future of Eternity and her kind, a king of old called for the Bride Competition to change. The Competition tested not only strength of character but also strength of body."

    "So things evolved into . . . this." I held my arms out as though to encapture all of Eternity.

    "Yes."

    We came to two doors, carved with two large roses.

    "Maiden, I believe the King and Prince are dining here. I will ask if I should prepare a different room for you. Wait here."

    Before I could protest, Eika opened the doors and stepped inside. I peeked around her.

    Bordering the room were pillars, carved with flowers and geometric shapes. In the center of the room was a long ebony table. Despite its size, only two people sat at it: one at the head, the other in the middle. Plates of foreign foods filled the table top. At the other end of the room was another set of doors, and from the servants moving in and out of them with food, I assumed it to be the kitchen.