29 | Bad Emotions | rune

\\ bad emotions \\

    There was a flash of light beyond the horizon that lasted half a second. But the blow would last eternity.

    His head hung and he held the railing as though it were life-support. His fingers were white and aching, but he didn't let go. If he did, he would break.

    The pain in his chest was sharp, stinging over and over again each time he recalled a detail: the blue of her eyes, the way she always thought of others, the yllumin she had learned to plant for his sake.

    He squeezed his eyes shut in hopes of ceasing the slideshow. But it only intensified them. He groaned, shoving off the rail with enough force that he stumbled backward. He ran his fingers through his hair, regret sickening his stomach.

    And yet, he knew he couldn't keep her. He had seen the longing — the pain and loss that was so intimate to him — and he knew he had to let her go. He couldn't love someone who was not his.

    His head told him to go back inside, to forget his feelings for a moment and be Prince Rune Eslyr of Eternity. He had a duty to inform his father of the maiden's departure — and then to abdicate the throne. But his heart grounded him, refusing to let him move. Rune Eslyr wanted to stare unseeingly and wallow in the bad emotions bubbling in him.

    A moment later, he felt a presence behind him. He dared a glance and found a pair of yellow eyes glowering at him. With a tired sigh, the Prince straightened, attempting normalcy by clasping his hands behind his back. "You desire an audience with me?"

    "Where is she, asshat?" the alimae snarled, sounding more feral than he ever had.

    "So you noticed." Prince Rune didn't recognize his own voice.

    Jack revealed his teeth. "Listen, mate, I ain't even goin' to bring up the fact that you lost me my job. I just wanna know where in Acaign you sent the Earthlin'."

    "Home." The Prince swallowed. "I sent her home."

    Growling, he charged at Prince Rune and seized his collar. He shook the Prince as he said, "Liar. Where'd you send 'er? She weren't good 'nough for you, Your Royal Splinter?"

    Pain crashed over him, but he didn't protest. This — both the physical and emotional pain — was the least he deserved.

    "You sen' 'er off so some other planet could deal with her because you're a goddamned coward." Jack spit in his face.

    Their argument alerted the royal guards. They surrounded the pair, struggling to untangle Jack from the Prince.

    Jack fought against them, growling, "Let me go. Let me tear 'im to shreds. Bring back bean sprout, you rotten compost."

    "What is going on here?" a voice, full of authority, demanded.

    The commotion immediately quieted.

    Eika marched onto the balcony, hands on her hips. One of her eyes trained on the bedraggled Prince, the other on a panting Jack.

    "He—" Jack shoved a finger in Prince Rune's direction — "sent bean sprout away. Probably off to slave away for some foreign circuit. Because this asshat thinks he's above everyone, spoiled brat."

    "Please watch your tongue, Jack." Eika had said it politely, but it carried a poisonous bite that sent shivers up Prince Rune's spine.