Chapter 9: Stay Cool

Start from the beginning

"I'm mostly teasing," Baoshi said with a smile. "I know you have... different tastes."

That's one way of putting it, Renko thought. Baoshi looked up at the clock hanging above them.

"Avatar Renko," she looked at him again. "I urge you to meditate on these feelings. Try and find the answers to the questions you seek. As for your dreams, perhaps that is all they are."

She stood and Renko stood with her.

"If you have any further concerns I am always here," she said. "But now I must meet with the monk elders."

Renko bowed to show his appreciation and left.

Shortly after, he was walking into the men's bathhouse. He was just wearing a towel and flip-flops. Baoshi gave him a lot to think about and the newspaper article was going to weigh on him for a while. I told Kuzo a war on terror was just stupid, Renko thought. Honestly, he's so stubborn sometimes. He opened the door to the baths and saw Tiulo standing in the waist deep water. His back was too him. The steam made everything misty and hazy but Tiulo's dark skin stood out boldly.

He was water bending in a way that Renko had never seen before. Four streams of water danced him and swayed as if pushed by the breeze. Tiulo spun his hands and the water started to spin and connect high above his head. There was almost a glow to the blue water and Renko felt his body buzz, the same buzz as when he was in the Spirit Wilds. Spirits began to appear from the air and dance with the swaying water. Some floated in the air and others turned into green and white vapors and spun around Tiulo.

During all of this, Renko realized that he had always seen Tiulo fully clothed in robes or jeans. He noted that his back was muscular with defined shoulders. Along his spine was a tattoo of a vine with black leaves. Each leaf had a cluster of white berries under them. Renko felt a little awkward about looking too low so he stopped before he reached his lower back.

The door opened behind Renko. He turned and saw the guy with deep dark eyes Ahmad walk in completely nude. Ahmad froze when he met Renko's eyes. Renko put his finger to his mouth and nodded his head towards Tiulo. Ahmad turned his head and his eyes widened. The two stood and watched Tiulo water bend. Eventually, he dropped his arms and the water splashed down around him. The spirits vanished when the dance was over. He didn't seem to notice his audience of two as he stepped out of the bath. He toweled himself and walked out the opposite door.

Ahmad realized he was holding his breath and took a big gulp of air. He looked over at Renko and felt a little embarrassed. Compared to the Avatar, he was skinny and lanky.

"Uh," he started to say. "It's good to see you again Avatar."

"Likewise," Renko turned his head to look at him. "And you can just call me Renko."

"Renko," Ahmad corrected himself. He mentally kicked himself for being so awkward.

"Ahmad right?"

"That's me," he said. "So that water bender is your friend?"

"Swamp bender," Renko corrected as he dropped his towel and stepped into the hot water. He sat down and the water came up to his belly button. "His name is Tiulo. He's a good friend of mine and an incredible bender."

"Oh, I see."

"Aren't you going to get in?"

"Oh right," Ahmad said. "That is why I came to the bathhouse."

He got into the water with Renko and tried not to look at the Avatar's chest.

"So," Ahmad began. "What do you think of the air temple?"

"I like it," Renko said. "The altitude sickness passed pretty quickly."

"That's good."

"Were you born in this temple?" Renko asked.

"No," Ahmad said.

"...where are you from?"

"Oh!" once again Ahmad mentally kicked himself. "My parents were on assignment in the northern Earth States when my mom went into labor. I was born pretty early."

"Which state?"

"Munchrio."

"Wow," Renko said. "That's way up north."

"Haha yeah, I was born in winter. My parents said there was a blizzard the day I was born," Ahmad said. "My mom is from the Eastern Air Temple and my dad from the Southern."

"Wow, so you're a citizen of the Earth States and an Air Nomad."

"Yeah, I guess," Ahmad said. "I actually voted for your dad."

"Nice," Renko said. "Do you have any siblings?"

"Four sisters. I'm the youngest and the only boy."

"Well, it's nice to know a little bit about you."

Ahmad smiled at him. He liked this Avatar.

"Um," he began. "I asked to be on your team for your first few assignments. I don't have my tattoos so someone with them has to come with."

"I'll ask Pāru," Renko replied. "And I'm sure Tiulo would be willing come too."

"Oh, yeah, of course," Ahmad said. "But if you need any extra help I'm pretty good at air bending."

"Thanks," Renko smiled at him. Renko stood up to grab his towel. Ahmad blushed and looked away.

"And can I ask," Ahmad said. "Are you still with the prince of the Fire Nation?"

"I don't know," Renko said. He wrapped his towel around his waist and walked out of the bathhouse.

Ahmad sat against a wall in the water.

"Spirits," he said to himself. "That first assignment can't come soon enough."

Author's note: Thank you, as always, for reading. I apologize for changing the update schedule. I will promise to stick to it and keep providing you with a new chapter every two weeks.