Chapter 54: Perfection At Its Finest

Grace

    Our date was better than I expected, but he's Alexander, how could it not be great? After we swam, we didn't have a way to dry off, so I just threw on my clothes, and got them soaking wet and uncomfortable. It was hard to care though because I was with my soulmate and he was making everything perfect. We were talking and laughing the whole day, but by the time our swim was done, we were both too exhausted to talk.

    Alexander was gathering up all of his stuff while I walked around, listening as the water in my shorts sloshed around. He was shirtless and I had to constantly remind myself to stop staring at him, to resist the urge to not focus on his tanned skin and abs. Why did they have to send me someone with the perfect physique while I was shaped like a potato? I tried to be confident around him, but as soon as I saw his body, I suddenly couldn't focus, and I don't want him to see me.

    He came up behind me, and wrapped an arm around my waist. His skin was warm, but it still had little beads of water. "Ready to go, sweetie?" he asked in his deep voice. Sweetie was never a name I enjoyed being called, but for some reason it sounded good coming out of his mouth.

    I turned a little so I could see his blue eyes scanning my features. "Yeah, but what are we doing next?" I asked even though I wasn't really up for anything else. A nap sounded amazing.

    Then, he held my hand as he led me back to the car. "I don't know yet, but are you really walking barefoot? The rocks are going to kill your feet," he commented, looking down at the ground, and then back up at me with a smile.

    I squeezed his hand a little as I tiptoed over the rocks. "When I was younger, my mom wouldn't let me play outside. I always had to wear dresses, and nice shoes. So once I stayed over at Becca's house and we were playing outside and she was running down the street barefoot. I followed her and it hurt so much! But after awhile I got used to it, and we always raced each other, and now I don't really have much feeling in my feet," I explained, remembering Becca. I need her to meet my Alexander.

    His eyes widened as I talked, and he shook his head. "You're insane. Alright, I'm switching soulmates," he teased and then he smiled a little. "Just kidding, but that seriously sounds painful. I wouldn't be able to do that."

    I rolled my eyes and we kept walking. After awhile, I decided to throw on my shoes, and then Alexander made a snide comment about my feet not being so tough after all. Then, he felt bad and offered to carry me the rest of the way to the car, but I told him no. Why would I let him do that? We were both already exhausted and I wasn't about to wear him out more. Even though being carried sounded lovely, I wasn't the type of girl to admit that.

    Alexander talked a little, telling me different things about plants and how they biologically work. He talked about all these old genetic studies that aren't the most reliable anymore, but he still found them interesting. I didn't particularly enjoy the conversation, but I liked the way he passionately and intelligently talked. I kept listening to him and I couldn't help, but smile as his tone changed. He was talking so fast, and his voice was a little higher because he was so excited. It was nice to see a different side of my body building soulmate. He was more than eye candy; he was sweet and a major nerd. Perfection at its finest.

    As we climbed into his car I looked out the window at the blue sky peering out from behind the trees. The beach was still my favorite, but this place was just as beautiful. "Let's go back to my house, my parents are probably gone anyways," I offered, noticing how pathetic my voice sounded. It was probably because I was tired; I don't care about my parents.

    He smashed his lips into a thin line, glanced over at me, and then continued to drive with a critical look on his face. "Does it bother you that your parents are always gone?" he asked as we drove away, leaving the forest behind us.