Chapter 30: Bubbly Blondes

Grace

    One more day, one more sleepless night, and then I would be meeting my soulmate. The man of my dreams. The man who was supposed to make my life complete. The man Chase still thought he could be. It wasn't possible because I didn't want the life he wanted; we were too different to fall in love. But I guess my grandmother thinks I will be able to fall in love with anyone, and maybe that is true.

    I didn't want it to be true though; I wanted to be able to fall in love with only one man, one perfect man. He had to exist, there had to be someone who would compliment me perfectly. Someone who would be able to deal with my craziness and would also love me for it. Someone who wouldn't just like what was on the outside, but would love my thoughts. He would help me make these difficult decisions in life, giving me gentle encouragements without bossing me around. The only problem was: how soon would he want to get married?

    There was so much to think about, but I wanted to ignore it because I didn't want to have to worry about all my responsibilities. Everything was becoming too stressful, including my mother's words. That was the only reason I agreed to go to a stupid party with Becca and Tyson. It was my last night to do something crazy even though I would more than likely regret it.

    I was in my closet, trying to decide what I wanted to wear. It was warm today, but I knew it would cool down as the night progressed. Still I grabbed a pair of dark wash shorts and a bright pink tank top that would make me look even tanner. I stared at myself in the mirror and knew my mom would flip if I tried to leave the house like this, so I grabbed a cardigan to throw on to make my arms look less bare. I had seen Becca pull off this look a thousand times, so why couldn't I? Quickly, I slipped on my flip-flops and hurried out of my room.

    Mom was cooking dinner, but I was hoping to leave before she noticed me. For some stupid reason, she decided to take the day off, but she stayed in the office on her phone. "Hey Mom, I'm going over to Becca's house," I said as I stood in the doorway. If I came any closer, then she'd probably try to make me help her.

    She glanced over at me, and then went back to stirring. "Are you going to eat first? Dinner should be done in about ten minutes," she murmured as she put down her spatula and starting digging in the cupboard.

    "Uh...I'll probably just eat at her house. I'm already running late, so I better get going. I'll probably be out late, so don't wait up," I responded as I took a step back. She didn't reply right away except a barely noticeable nod of her head, so I rushed out. I didn't care to know what she had to say.

    The sun was still out, and I assumed Becca would drive me home after the party, so I decided to walk the few miles to her house. I took off the cardigan and carried it as I slowly walked, enjoying the sunshine. I never want to move away because it's always so warm and beautiful here with the light bouncing off the ocean.

    I felt at peace out here with the sun warming my back, and the sound of waves crashing on the beach. The only thing I could really wish for was to be down at the beach in my bikini, maybe tanning, but more than likely I'd be out in the ocean. I'd probably be chasing the waves, and listening to the kids around me scream as the cold water lapped at their feet. As usual, I'd look for shells, but I'd never take any with me. I'd leave them on the beach for other people to find. I could spend the whole day there and I still wouldn't want to leave even if my skin was on fire and there was sand in my hair.

    My soulmate better love the beach because any free time we have is going to be spent there. I would love to have a house closer to the water, but I know how expensive they are and I know it is very unlikely that it would ever happen. But a girl can dream, can't she? Maybe I won't tell him my dream, so he won't feel like he's letting me down because I know any house we pick will be our own and it'll be good enough. Right?