Chapter 23: Graduation

Alexander

    Thirty days, twenty-five minutes, and five seconds was going by so slowly. I was sitting in my office, waiting for my lunch break in ten minutes. I was thinking about the time that I would be meeting my soulmate. In thirty days I will meet her on June 11th, a Thursday, at 12:15 p.m. I've never thought about when I would meet her, the day or time, I never cared before, but for some reason, it gave me comfort that it was coming up, it was so close. I knew she would be perfect, and all I had to do was be patient.

    I turned my chair away from the computer, grabbed a few papers that had been placed on my desk, and began to file them. Normally, I didn't spend very much time in the office because I didn't go to college, so I didn't have the business degree that allowed me to do tedious work. Usually, I was unloading delivery trucks or sorting the warehouse full of furniture. Somedays I even had to drive our truck to bring furniture to other stores in different locations. I hated it, but it gave me money. That's all I needed because I was saving up to give my soulmate everything that she wanted.

    Sometimes I wished I had gone to college to get a higher paying job, but I knew I would meet my soulmate at the end of my freshman year in college. That would mean I would more than likely be in debt after taking out student loans. We wouldn't be able to get married right away, and we wouldn't be financially stable. We wouldn't have money to buy a house and our plans would have to be put on the back burner. I want to be able to give her every opportunity that I can even if that means I have to be miserable for a few years. She's going to be worth it; I know it.

    I was wearing my black slacks and a maroon button down shirt. Tuesdays were my office days where I filed papers, shredded decently important documents, or did anything that anyone else needed or didn't want to do. Simply because I didn't have a degree, the boss thought I wasn't qualified enough to work in the office everyday. I knew I am capable of it because I did most of everyone else's work, and if they would hire me to do office work, then I would be able to handle it.

    These files weren't mine, Tobis called in sick today, so I get to play the part for an extra shift. I get to pretend to be an adult working in an office. I think I would prefer to work in the office just so I would be taken seriously instead of like a child who does what other people tell him to. Sometimes I'm sent on stupid coffee runs or lunch runs, stuff I shouldn't have to do because I'm one of the lowest paid workers. It wasn't part of my job description, but I had to do it or risk losing my job.

    "Hey, Alex, you can take your lunch break now," a voice from my computer stated. The floor manager likes to schedule everything and boss us all around; we have to be on his schedule. If someone needs anything, then they have to go to him first. If people want me to get them coffee, then they tell him, and he notifies me. He'll prepare me a list and text it to me as well as loan me the company vehicle to go and pick it up. Then, I have to bring the coffees to his office, where he will reimburse me for the cost, and then he'll have me deliver them.

    Luckily, today no one has needed anything, but since I am filling in for another worker, they probably don't know that I'm even here. "Thank you," I answered back as I closed the filing cabinet.  I was trying to be quiet about it because I knew if I gave Mr. Jones any attitude, then he wouldn't hesitate to report me and fire me. It really wouldn't be too hard to fire me because I'm not an essential member of the team; they could just hire any boy right out of high school. 

    I grabbed my lunch box, headed out of the office, and towards the break room. The office doors in the hall were closed and the shades were drawn. They were working hard on much more than just furniture. This building holds most of the retail businesses, it just so happens that I work with the furniture stores. The above floors are all technology based, but I'm definitely not educated well enough to go up there. If they think furniture is too advanced for me, then what would the technology department think?