Chapter 49: Barrier

Alexander

    Tears rimmed her blue eyes, and immediately I knew I had to comfort her. Quickly, I held my arms open and she basically fell into them without giving it a second thought. Her arms were clinging around my neck and she buried her face into my shoulder. I felt her body shaking, and I knew she was trying hard not to cry. "You can cry, it's alright," I whispered as I put my face near her perfect hair, breathing in the smell of her shampoo. She was so perfect, and I had already made her cry. What was wrong with me?

    I heard her sniffle and she shifted her weight, so she could sit closer to me, pressing her chest against me. "I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm crying about this now," she whimpered as she pulled away from me and started wiping away black tears.

    I couldn't help, but smirk as her makeup ran down her face, and I helped her wipe the tears away. "You're fine, just let me know how I can help you," I murmured as her face turned red and she looked away from me. "What are you thinking about right this second?"

    Her eyes found me, and she smiled through her tears, how can anyone look so beautiful while crying? "I wish you could've met my grandmother. She was a fan of the matching system, simply because she had her heart broken so many times. She dated boys who thought she was pretty, but they never loved her, and it always crushed her. She told me how thankful she was that I didn't have to go through that," she murmured, speaking as if I wasn't even here. The way she talked made my heart melt.

    I ran my hands through her hair, smoothing it down, and she leaned into my hand, closing her eyes as I attempted to comfort her. "She sounds wonderful, I wish I could've met her, too," I whispered. All I wanted to do was pull her in my lap and make everything better, but I wasn't sure if I could heal her. Death was hard to comprehend.

    She opened her eyes and nodded a tiny bit. "She would've loved you, I'm sure. Now, I'm not sure what my parents will think, but hopefully they will like you," she commented as she wrinkled her little nose. "I'm kind of teasing, I'm sure they will like you, just not as much as she would have."

    "Well, do you want me to meet them tonight, or do you want to meet my family?" I asked, hoping I wouldn't have to meet her family yet. Something about the way she talked about them made my stomach lurch.

     Her head tilted to the side as I moved my hand to gently rub her back, feeling how tense her muscles were. "I want to meet your family first, and then maybe tomorrow if you're not tired from working, we can visit my parents. It's not a big deal though," she answered. I couldn't tell if that's what she really wanted, or if she was trying to be sweet.

    "Alright, well, do you want to talk about the lab, or was it okay?" I asked, feeling the words tumble out of my mouth before I could process them. Maybe I shouldn't be asking her those things, and maybe I should give her space.

    A smile tugged at the corners of her lips, and I kept resisting the urge to grab her and kiss her. "I feel like I've talked a lot, but it wasn't too bad. They took a DNA sample, and asked me some questions while they ran the tests. Basically, they told me if I met my percentages, then I would be allowed to meet you, so here I am," she rambled with a shrug. "And I'm glad you're finally here."

    I smiled and leaned a little closer to her, placing my hand on her waist, feeling her take in a sharp breath. I looked into her eyes, should I kiss her yet, or wait? "I'm glad I'm here, too," I whispered, wondering what I wanted. My heart was pounding hard in my chest, and my mind was spinning. Now, or never?

    She patted my leg, breaking me from my thoughts. "Is there anything I should expect from your family, or are they pretty easy going?" she asked, raising one of her eyebrows.