Chapter 8: Breaking the Rules

Mayne97 I know you're sick and you're my main reader, so I'll post an extra chapter just for you! Sorry it's a short one. Anyone else reading this, go check her out! She has amazing stories, and poetry!

***

Grace

    We stood outside a beautiful two story house, and I could hear the techno music from down the street. The milkshake in my hand shook, and I didn't want to be here, but Becca had convinced me as usual. She reminded me that I'm her best friend, so I'm obligated to go. I hated parties, and I doubted I would even go to our class graduation party, so I agreed to go with our movie group.

    Becca stood by me as Tyson, Luke, and Greyson burst through the door like they owned the place, the popular guys went first, and our socially awkward group of three trailed behind them. "You know, there's still time to back out, if you really, really want to," she reminded me as we walked into the house; I was running out of time to leave.

    "It's fine. I'll stay for a little while," I murmured as my heart pounded in my chest. The smell of sweat nearly knocked me over, and made me want to crawl back outside to fresh air. Tyson was reaching out to Becca, and whispered into her ear and she started giggling and blushing. Chase was by my side as Tyson lifted her off the ground, and carried her through the crowd.

    Chase looked at me with a small smile on his face; he hadn't really talked to me all night because Nina was around, but she went home. They got along better, and she was prettier than me, but they couldn't be soulmates. She only had one more week to wait, so she said it would be inappropriate for her to be here with us. Everything she did was calculated, just like Chase.

    "May I get you a drink?" Chase asked with a raise of his thick eyebrows. His voice was smooth, but something about it made me feel uneasy.

    I held up my milkshake, and took a sip of it, knowing that he probably wouldn't get my stupid hint; I would have to talk. "Uh...no thanks, I'll just finish this one," I murmured, trying to avoid his gaze. I couldn't handle him looking at me like this, expecting so much out of me, so much that I couldn't give him.

    He shrugged his shoulders, and looked towards the kitchen with its dimmed lights. "Well, I'll be right back. Don't go too far," he muttered with a slight roll of the eyes. All night he's seemed somber, not like himself. I should have talked to him about it, but I was still trying to distance myself.

    There were too many people here, too many people that I didn't know, and I didn't particularly want to know. They were breaking the rules by being here. I was breaking the rules by being here. But they were here to hook up with people before they meet their soulmates, and I think that's horribly wrong. They need to have patience because they will meet their soulmates soon enough, and then they'll regret this. So why was I here?

    I pushed through the crowd, and felt my body heat up because of the close contact with so many other sweating, disgusting people. I hadn't realized that these people were this desperate to be with someone; they were all so lonely. Sure, I was lonely too, but I didn't have the desire to be with these people. I know I can wait for him. Whoever he is.

    Maybe secretly I wanted someone here to want me, but I knew that it wouldn't happen. I wasn't pretty or special by any means, so I wasn't going to be getting any attention tonight. There wasn't any part of me that wanted to hook up with anyone, but I did want to have a conversation with someone. Becca was too brainless and wrapped up with Tyson, and I just can't talk to Chase anymore. So I guess that's why I'm here, to find someone to talk to.

    I pushed my way to the stairs and walked up, running my fingers along the railing. It was the only thing in this house that was cool to the touch. I took another long sip of my chocolate shake, my insides were only cooled for a few seconds before the heat of the house invaded again. I walked down the hall, and looked at the pictures on the wall of a family I didn't recognize. I had no idea whose house I was in.

    A light flooded from underneath a door, and I heard someone throwing up. I certainly hoped my soulmate wasn't here.