Chapter 45: Girl Crush

Sharla

    I had about two hours to waste until my next class, and I couldn't bear to go to the library to study with Minnie. She would sit there and try to cheer me up, but I wasn't in the mood for her antics. I also didn't have any homework to work on, so I didn't see the point in going. All I would be doing is helping Minnie with her homework. Instead, I drove around the town, and found myself parking at a small diner. I didn't know why, but I felt like I needed to be there.

    Quickly, I tore myself from the car, and begrudgingly walked in. Without thinking about it, I sat down in a booth, and looked around at the outdated 1950's theme. This was an old theme, even for my mom's time, so I wondered why they tried to revive it. Maybe it was working for them, maybe people actually enjoy the way it looks.

    Then, I looked up as a blonde waitress approached, with sad blue eyes. "May I take your order?" she murmured, as she held a pad of paper and a pen in her hand. Wow, they were really going all out with this theme.

    I tried to smile at her, she seemed like she needed to be cheered up, but then I remembered that this was her job. She should leave it all outside as soon as she comes to work. But I also know how it is to be a woman and to have so many confusing emotions. 'I'll have a chocolate milkshake, and a small fry please," I murmured, looking down at the menu that was lazily laying on the table.

    She nodded her head, and then walked back to the kitchen. I watched her as she started washing tables, her arms were thin, but I could see the start of muscles forming. She was quite pretty, and for some reason I felt like I needed to talk to her, but I didn't know what I would say. Really, all I would want to talk about is Patrick and how our relationship is crumbling. I would want to tell her all the things I've already talked to Minnie and Alex about, but I knew that would be inappropriate.

    Suddenly, tears were streaming down my face as I thought about Patrick. Finally, I was letting myself breakdown, but this wasn't the time or place for it, so I tried to wipe my tears away. I grabbed napkins and kept dabbing at my eyes as my mascara smeared everywhere. I stared out the window, hoping no one would notice me, but that wasn't my luck.

    The blonde waitress was standing next to my booth with my milkshake and fries in her hands. Silently, she set them on the table, and she looked like she was about to go back to washing tables, but she continued to stare at me. She sighed as if she was giving into something. "Are you okay?" she asked as she crossed her arms over her busty chest.

    I sniffled and wiped a stray tear, hoping that I could stop crying. "I've just been having problems with my soulmate. I'll be okay though," I whispered, looking down at my black stained napkin. Then, my eyes landed on the timer glued to her wrist.

    She snorted, making my eyes snap up to meet her beautifully, captivating blue eyes; they seemed to swallow and drown me like the ocean. "At least you met your soulmate," she scornfully replied. Her full lips were pressed into a thin line and I could tell I had accidentally struck a nerve.

    "I'm sorry...I didn't know..." I murmured, feeling my body shake because I wanted to cry more. I felt bad for upsetting her this way, and I wished I could make it up to her. "Do you want to sit and talk about it?" Hope bubbled up in my chest as I thought that maybe I would get the chance to talk with her even though I didn't know what was so great about her. She looked familiar, maybe I had seen her at a party.

    The girl glanced towards the kitchen and then bit her lip. "If it'll make you stop crying, then yes. I'm going to tell them I'm taking a break. Just...pull yourself together," she demanded, and then she disappeared into the kitchen.