Chapter 52: I Live to Tease You

Grace

    It was Friday, and Alexander was working like he said he would, but his mother, Jane, insisted that I come over at three o'clock. I knew Cheyenne and her husband would be leaving soon, so I decided I should go and try to get to know her better. Mom and Dad were already at work, so I got ready and started walking over to his house. They lived about a five minutes drive away, but I decided it would be relaxing to have some time in the warm sun. Just the thought of being alone to my thoughts sounded amazing.

    As I walked, I thought about Alexander and how big his eyes always got whenever I surprised him with kisses. It's been two days since I've seen him, and I can already say I actually miss him. I don't want to get too close too fast, but let's face it, he's perfect and worth it. He's such an amazing kisser, and easily the sexiest man I have ever seen. When he came to my house, it took all my self control not to take all of his clothes off, but to be honest I was too nervous. I want to be good, and I want to be able to please him, but I don't know what to do. I know we aren't supposed to know yet, that's the point, we are supposed to wait for the right person. Nevertheless, I wanted to surprise him and make him happy. Plus, I wanted to have sex already; he was driving my body crazy.

    I never thought I would be this infatuated with the physical aspects of a relationship, but this boy was all I thought about. He was handsome, and beyond sweet. When I was sitting on his lap without my shirt, he kept telling me we didn't have to do this. His kisses were gentle, careful, and intimate while mine were raw and desperate. I only wanted to kiss him all over and never let him go.

    Oh, I'm such an idiot.

    I made things so tense and difficult between us because I was scared of getting flagged. Now I'm scared I will get his family flagged and taken away. At first it didn't sound bad to lose him, to lose everything because I'm a mutation, but now the thought of losing him made my heart ache. How had I already fallen for Alexander? My Alexander, my soulmate. That's how the system works. They tell you who you're going to love, who you will spend the rest of your life with, and you believe them because you don't know any different. Why did they have to do such a great job at matching? Why did they have to give me the perfect guy?

    Why couldn't I just be happy?

    I deserve to be happy with my soulmate. Everyone else gets to, so why was the secret of the mutated looming over my shoulder? It shouldn't be my burden to bear, and I shouldn't have to worry about them, but I did. What they were going through was inhumane and that's part of the reason I wanted to be admitted, so I could save them. But I couldn't save anyone because I couldn't even save myself. Maybe I should selfishly live my life and ignore their troubles. I could ignore the guilt, right? Alexander doesn't seem to care, but he wasn't almost one of them. He doesn't understand the fear of being an experiment.

    When I finally got to his house, his mother immediately answered the door and wrapped me in a big hug. "Grace, I'm so glad you agreed to come over. I am so sorry about the other night," she rambled, squeezing tightly with her tiny arms. She was so thin, I was afraid I would break her if I hugged her back.

    I smiled at Cheyenne who had glanced our way and then headed back to the kitchen. Were these women always cooking? "Well, thank you, Jane, and trust me, it's already forgotten," I murmured even though that wasn't the complete truth. I still thought about the way Chris looked at me and the way his tone tore my heart, but I could forgive him for Alexander.

    She smiled and led me into the kitchen. "Well, Cheyenne and I are about to start cooking dinner if you would like to help us. Michael and the kids are outside in the pool," she explained, and I could tell how nervous she was. She shouldn't be worried about impressing me because I already knew how great she was. Alexander had to get his greatness from somewhere, and I knew it wasn't from his dad.