26. THE DRESS

When we arrived home from the tasting and informed our parents that we had finally decided on one they were all excited especially since we told them we had also picked the cakes.  June was excited because it meant that we had more time to pick the dress.  She spoke about what we were going to be going the next day.  I tried to sit through her happy ramblings but all of a sudden it hit me hard.  I stood up and went upstairs to Noah's room and threw myself across his bed and started crying.

I hear "hey Shelly baby are you ok"  I look at him and I couldn't help my self and I started sobbing he runs over and scoops me up in his arms.  "come, Shelly, if you don't tell me I can't help you"  when I hear "It's Mary bro.  She just realized Mary won't be here for you all's big day."  Noah just held me and rocked me "baby she will be here and as for her helping you pick out your dress.  You will know, believe me, you will feel her there with you"  I look up at him and smile.  "thanks Noah I just really miss her right now."  "yeah I know"  He held me until I fell asleep.

The next day we went to the bridal shop and I explained to the girl I wanted a satin ball gown with very little lace, a corset bodice, With sheer sleeves that barely skim my upper arms becoming wider as it goes down.  I also stressed that it must be full length.  The girl that they assigned us just didn't get it the first dress she had me try on was form fitting that hit me just under my butt and strapless.  I came out and said "ahh hell no."  Lee looked at me "Shit my bro would rush down the aisle pick you up and lock you in a room before beating all the men senseless."  June said "yeah Lee I tend to agree. Look, sweetie, we really need something a lot more conservative.  Our Shelly here is not the kind of girl that would wear something like that plus my son would definitely start a fight with any man that looked at her too long.  I had tried on at least 5 different dresses along the same theme except they did get longer each time until I lost it.  I looked at her and said "I told you what I was looking for.  If you keep bringing me these dresses that I would not leave the bedroom in I am out of here."  She looked at me and said, "but it is my job to make you desirable on your wedding night and make every man and woman jealous."  I smiled and said "as for me being desirable to my fiancée this look isn't it unless it is just us behind closed doors. He prefers I wear clothing that leaves a lot to the imagination.  He would rather guess what is under the dress than have me walking around in something that leaves little to the imagination for himself and any man around.  As far as he is concerned only he should see me showing this much skin."  Lee looks at her and says "let me show you something." he shows her his phone and she says ok "see that is her in her soccer uniform and he finds that hot."  "ok, if you insist." I stop her and say "look he told me what he envisioned me in on our wedding day and it is the same thing I always envisioned wearing."  She finally brought me the dress I had described. With the exception, it had a lace overlay on the skirt and when I looked closer it was all kisses.  Tears started flowing down my face.  I look at the girl and say "this is it this is the one"  She looked at Lee and said "wow you were right"  Turns out he had snuck away when I was in the dressing room before I talked to about the lack of material on all the dresses and found this dress and insisted on her letting me try this one on but she had refused until I threatened to leave.  She even found a veil to match.  When I stood there I realized Noah was right I felt my mom there and it was almost like I could hear her say "you look beautiful this is the one."