Chapter 31

Chapter 31

So prom has finally arrived. You cannot believe how nervous I am right now. Maybe because I’ll be alone during the entire event since Lau and Paul are together and Danny’s not attending. And also because I have to wear this very tight white dress that without a doubt restricts me from breathing. I even tried convincing Lau that she could go on without me but all she said was “your dress is already paid.” And yes, she’s the one who paid for it to only make sure that I’d feel guilty whenever I decided not to come. Don’t think that I didn’t try to stop her, because I did. She’s the stubborn one.

So here I am, staring down at the white gown that was laid neatly on my bed as I stand here in front of it with only a towel wrapped around my body.

“How the heck am I gonna wear this?” I muttered to myself as I picked up the white fabric, scanning it for an easy opening. I’ve always had difficulties wearing tight gowns like this.

Suddenly, my phone rang. I grabbed it from my night stand and clicked the answer button without really looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Are you ready?” the caller said from the other line.

I finally glanced at the caller ID and learned that it was just Lau. I rolled my eyes as I said, “Hi, Lau.”

“Are you all set?” she asked again.

I sighed. “Nope, not yet.”

“What why? You’ve only got an hour left.”

“Look, can I just not come?” I begged. “I’m sure you and Paul would still have fun without me.”

“Pel, we’ve been through this a million times. You. Are. Coming. Whether. You. Like. It. Or. Not.” she stated slowly as if she’s talking to a little girl.

“But why?” I whined for the hundredth time for the past few days.

“Because… I said so.” She said simply. I could just imagine her scanning her nails as she talks.

I rolled my eyes again. “You’re not my mother, Lau.”

“I know. But I’m your best friend. And if you won’t come to prom, I’ll never talk to you again. You wouldn’t want that now would you?” she blackmailed.

I sighed. “Are you seriously threatening me about our friendship?”

“Yes.”

“Ugh. Fine, fine. I’ll go.” I grunted.

“Yessss.” She squealed.

“But don’t expect me to arrive there in time. I’m having difficulties wearing this dress you bought me, you know.” I told her.

“Oh don’t worry about that. It’ll slip on eventually.”

“Easy for you to say.” I mumbled.

“Ooh, gotta go.” She exclaimed. “Paul’s here.”

I chuckled. “Good luck with that. He had trouble putting his slacks on since he gained a few fats.” I warned her. “He wouldn’t stop eating these past few days.”

She fake gasped. “Don’t you dare talk about my boyfriend like that.”

I snorted. “I’m his sister. That’s my job.”

“I know.” She giggled but went back to serious. “Remember, don’t even think about not coming. ‘Cause I’ll obviously hunt you down and drag you here myself.”