Chapter 23

Chapter 23

“Pel, wake up!” someone shouted beside my ear as they threw a pillow on my head.

“Ugh, aw!” I cringed in pain. I slowly opened my eyes forcefully and looked up. As expected, it was my most annoying twin brother not to mention the only one. “What do you want, Paul?”

“It’s almost 2 in the afternoon and you came home at 1 in the morning. Care to explain?” he asked me with authority in his tone, his hands on his hips.

“Why do you care?” I asked him, annoyed as I put a pillow on my face to block the bright sunlight.

“Uh because I’m your brother. I have the right to be worried for you. Mom and Dad were too. In fact, they’re downstairs right now.” He said.

My body immediately sat up, my eyes wide. “They’re downstairs?! But I thought they got work?”

“Duh, it’s Sunday. Have you completely forgotten that they got no work on Sundays?” he rolled his eyes.

“Oh.” Was all I could say as I bit my lip. How can I forget that?

“You know what, let’s talk later. Just…clean up and get a shower. You smell.” He said as he scrunched his nose playfully.

“Hey.” I punched him playfully on the shoulder. He just chuckled in response and left my room.

 I stumbled to the bathroom and stripped off my sleeping clothes. I turned on the shower and out came the warm water. I relaxed for a while as the water flowed through every inch of my body. When I was done, I wrapped a towel around me and out of the bathroom I went. After that, I traveled to my closet and took out an old pair of jean shorts that were above my knees and a dark blue, long sleeved blouse. Lastly, I combed my hair briefly and I was done.

I climbed down the stairs and found Paul sitting on the couch in the living room, watching The Kung Fu Panda on Disney channel. Yep, that’s probably the most common thing we have as siblings. Interest in childish movies. But who could blame us? They’re cool. “Hey, Paul where’s Mom and Dad?” I called out to him.

“Kitchen.” He answered as he waved his hand dismissively. I shrugged and walked to the kitchen.

When I was almost by the door, first thing that I heard was laughter. My mom and dad were both laughing at something. Hm wonder what it is? I went inside and saw that they were playing with flour. Aw, they look so cute. As if they’re young and in love again. Not that they’re not in love anymore. It’s just that it’s very rare to see them like this and not like those business clones who only knew how to work and nothing else.  Wait, are they baking? Cookies? Just the thought of cookies made my tummy rumble. That just made me remember that I haven’t eaten yet.

I cleared my throat to make them notice that I was there. Turns out, it worked. When both of their eyes flicked towards me, I said a simple “Hi.”

My dad spoke first. His tone became serious after clearing his throat as well. “Young lady, what time have you arrived last night?”

“Um…” I trailed off, not really remembering exactly what time I had arrived. “I don’t really know.”

My mom suddenly shrieked as she waltzed towards me. She draped an arm around my shoulder and stated, “Details. I need details. How was your date?”

Okay, I wasn’t totally expecting that. Shouldn’t she be serious like dad? And as if he had heard my thoughts, he told mom, “Catherine, we should be serious about this. Our little girl got home at 1 in the morning which isn’t good. Especially if the reason was a boy.”